Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Main Vent Tee-PLEASE HELP

jackie_5
jackie_5 Member Posts: 5
Hello.
I have a question regarding main vent tees. Per advice i got from brad, i made an antler tee for my mains due to original main was on top of elbow of return drop.
i have 2 questions.
Are there suppose to be water coming out of the tees? i know its probably loose, but before i tightened it, i need to know if water existence in this set up is normal.

-main reason why i decide to add more vents and new heat timers on all radiators is because i have a short cylcling issue with boiler. i read dans book and if i vent my main and vent my radiators properly, why am i still getting pressure build up in my boiler. I have pressuretrol set to 1.5psi with .75 differential (subtractive), but im still cycling on pressure. Is there something else im missing.
PLEASE PLEASE help. Pics attached below.
Thanks everyone in advance

Comments

• JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,284
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • David Nadle
    David Nadle Member Posts: 624
    coming out how?

Under what circumstances did the water come out? Did you have a leak in the threads? Did it come out of the vents?

Was it a lot of water?

Make sure the horizontal arm has a slight pitch back to the mains or condensate will tend to collect at the end of the chain.

• bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    pitch

you might need a two elbow swing set where you came off with the first elbow . then you will create a hinge joint to pitch your fabricated assembly back to main so any condensate can drain. system water could also be dirty & need thorough cleaning.
  • V8toilet
    V8toilet Member Posts: 71
    Pressure

Two things that can cause pressure to build.

If the boiler is too large and produces too much steam for the system to condense than you'll get short cycling and quick pressure buildup.

If your systems size is close to design or the heat load of the home and all the radiators completely fill with steam it will build pressure up to the point that the pressuretrol shuts it down. This should take a while though and it shouldn't happen before all the radiators fill with steam if the boiler is the right size for the system. This is normal!

If the pipes serving your main vents are pitched and a tee leaked water that's because as the steam entered that pipe on it's way to the main vents it condensed and created water. Tighten the connection to the tee and make sure the pipes are pitched slightly so that the condensate can return back to the boiler. That is normal!
  • bob_114
    bob_114 Member Posts: 13

Thanks.
    Im getting two answers here.
    JohnNY seems to think NO WATER should be present, whereas V8toilet, states its steam condense.

The leak (drips of water) is coming out the threading. Im pretty sure its not tight, but i wanted to make sure water should be present before i tightened it for good.

Bob/David, thanks for the advice on pitch. I will make certain it gets pitched once i go finalize the project depending on my question above regarding water.

Thanks for your continued help.
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    water

if you got water it is either trapped condensate or wet steam. two separate issues. in any case all piping shold be sealed leakproof tight. normal operation you will have no water
  • David Nadle
    Plain ol' leak

Sounds to me like you have a plain old leak. You probably leaking steam AND water, and it's perfectly normal.

Better give that fitting another turn, or better yet clean it off and start over, making sure you're not cross threaded.
  • jOhn_225
    jOhn_225 Member Posts: 13

i am trying to accomplish the antler connection per brad, see attachment.

Now since the nipple to the tee is loose, i when i try to tighten it, it causes the rotation of the other tees. Will adding a union help me here?
    im not sure how a union works...

Thanks
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    In Order To Stop the Unwanted Rotation of the Fitting...

You may need to get another wrench to "hold back" on the fitting(s) you don't want to move.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • David Nadle
    union

There's no need for a union. Worst case you have to take the whole thing apart and do it over again. Whatever joint is leaking, turn the fitting one whole additional turn so the vents end up vertical again. If it's leaking where the long nipple meets the elbow, turn the nipple one whole additional turn.
  • jOhn_225

thanks.
  • Brad White_203
    Brad White_203 Member Posts: 506
    The union

enables bench set-up as a convenience given that you do not often have wrench clearance between the joists. It is a convenience, not a necessity.

I think there is enough pipe dope there to stop most leaks though :)

All of this advice presumes a basic working knowledge of pipe fitting practices, means and methods. If in doubt, get a pro in there.
  • jOhn_225

as always, thanks brad
This discussion has been closed.