Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam Radiator size question

tfc
tfc Member Posts: 5
It has a Heat-Timer VARIVALVE, it's in the "Closed" position but even in the closed position the radiator keeps pumping out heat, can the little vents really keep it from giving off any heat?

Comments

• tfc
    Steam Radiator size question

Hi all- I have a one pipe steam system and some of the valves are shot. I can't seem to find the right valve height size for these giant cast iron American radiators. New valves seem to be much "shorter" and don't reach up to where it should meet the radiator inlet.

Anyway I noticed some of the radiators have already been replaced with newer smaller style raditors. I figured I would do that along with a new valve. My question is what size do I need? It seems the current radiators are way too powerful for these rooms. The room is 10' X 13'. Should I be looking at 19" or 25"? How many sections, 12 or 14?

Attached is a picture of the valve I can't find and the old style radiator it is connected to.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    shot valves ?

what's wrong with the valves. don't expect even new ones to be closeable-they should only be on.

if they are leaking around the valve stem, under the handle; then you can re-pack the valve stem with graphite string. that would be easier and cheaper than buying and installing a new valve.--nbc
  • tfc

The existing valves close but the steam seems to leak through leading to gurgiling water sounds like a washing machine. Other vavles in the house, when closed, the radiator is completely cold to the touch and there is no noise. I would like to be able to shut these off as well. The downstairs residents control the thermostat and some days it is like a sauna up in the top half of the house. Some valves we turned off and it's fine but the one in the bedroom is one of the broken ones and it kills our sleep waking up in the middle of the night dying of thirst and sweating to death. I'd like to be able to turn that one off.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    valves

if you found a few valves that close, that's quite unusual. this might be a situation where thermostatic radiator vents would benefit you. they mount in the same hole as the air-vent and monitor the room temp. when the room is too hot, they allow no venting to take place and effectively shut off the radiator. if you have hoffman air vents, then turning them upside down does the same thing, without the automatic feature [yourself being the automatic actuator!] try that with your vents and see if it works.--nbc
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    NEW VALVES AVAILABLE

those valves can definitely be replaced. they are standard size. you might have to also replace the 2 " bushings . they look like they might be left & right style. any competent plumber would be capable of doing this job. do not scrap those radiators. they are " GOLD . "
  • tfc
    Valves

I got what seemed to be the right 1-1/4 valve from here:
    http://www.pexsupply.com/categories.asp?cID=630&brandid=

But it is too short so when it screws on it will not reach the opening of the radiator. The guy at Blackmans said putting on a coupling would then make it too high.

Do you know where I can get "longer" valves so it can reach the radiator? They all seem to be the same height.
  • tfc
    left right

They do have an "L" stamped on them seemingly for left? What does that mean left/right valves?
  • bob young

try h.c. oswald or davis & warshaw nyc & bronx
  • bob young
    L

the L would be the manufacturer. possibly lunkenhiemer. the bushing would be left & right , not the valve. THE NEW VALVE WILL HAVE A UNION & TAILPIECE ELIMINATING THE L. & R.
This discussion has been closed.