Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

iron radiators verses copper with metal fins

BAB
BAB Member Posts: 118
You said you have all glass on two sides of the room. Is it just old plate glass or is it complete with storm windows or do you have the newer double panes with inert gas in the middle? If you have the older plain plate glass, ... then you have a simple problem. 1/8" thick glass between the heated room & the outside cold air is a tough uphill battle that you will rarely win. The uninsulated floor is also a heavy heat loser. Suggest you tackle those two areas first. Bromley

Comments

• John Wolaver
    John Wolaver Member Posts: 1
    iron radiator verses copper with metal fins

I have a lake vacation home on a hill in WI which is subject to high winds and cold temperatures. I presently have hot water heat using copper pipes with metal fins for heating.

The living room area which faces the lake is the only room that causes me problems. The room has all glass on two sides, and it is the only room that has a crawl space below it.

I have trouble keeping this room warm (adding more registers is not a option), and the pipes have frozen twice in three years. Would installing a cast iron radiator help? I am also considering having antifreeze added to the system. We are only there on weekends.
  • Derheatmeister
    Derheatmeister Member Posts: 1,573
    Heat loss

If the Baseboards do not have the BTU capacity you may Upsize them for ones that do.

Regular Base boards give off about 550 btus per foot at 180 F

You need to do a heat loss so that you can determent what the room requires.. then you can size the " baseboards" .

Check "Speed heat" www.spirotherm.com they give you more heat output per foot with the proper face plate which you supply.

Also:maybe check into a freeze Alarm and maybe a free standing "fireplace" with a Thermopile which is self generated and can function even in a "black out" situation
  • Perry_5
    Perry_5 Member Posts: 141
    Suggestions:

Have you insulated the floor and pipes very well in that crawlspace?

Have you sealed the air leaks around the windows?

Have you hung insulating drapery over the windows for when you are not using the room?

Cast Iron baseboard may help - but probably won't stop the pipes from freezing by themselves.

Also, what part of Wisconsin. I'm in Two Rivers and a homeowner - but if you're close - or somewhat on the way to either Chicago or Madison (which I frequent) I'd be glad to take a look see and offer some advice.

Perry
  • Perry_5
    Perry_5 Member Posts: 141
    Another suggestion

Have you blocked the wind from getting into the crawlspace?

An old trick is to stack bales of hay around a house (or part of a house). You may need several layers - just get it tight with no air leaks. That would keep the crawlspace a lot warmer. Find some local farmer who has hay to sell. They would probably do the job to if you pay them well.

Perry

This discussion has been closed.