Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

No Heat

tanya_2
tanya_2 Member Posts: 17
Everything happens for a reason. I came home last night to no heat. I've pulled out the home warranty and called for service. The thermostat was set at 68 but the temp read 62. I have gas but the pilot doesn't appear to be lit. Attempts to reignite failed. Anything I need to make sure I ask or tell the technician? When you call for service how long does it typically take in general.

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    reset

try turning the power off and on, to make something reset, then look for a button on the low water cut off, or on the hi-limit pressuretrol. i think it could be a reset problem--nbc
  • Paul Fredricks_9
    Paul Fredricks_9 Member Posts: 315

Why do you think it could be a reset issue. Might be a standing pilot unit with a bad thermocouple. Could have a bad gas valve. Maybe the gas was shut off. Could be almost anything.

How long it takes for the service man arrives just depends. I would hope a few hours at the most, but could be more, or less. A ggod tech will know how to trouble shoot the unit and get you going.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    where to start

hard to remember what sort of system everyone has here, so trying to see if there is some sort of reset situation is a place to start for the ho. where it finishes is finding the cause, and professional rectification. resets have certainly fooled me from time to time.--nbc
  • tanya_2
    tanya_2 Member Posts: 17
    Heat again

Thanks for the advice.
    I did try all the above. The gas was on. I reset the thermostat and my neighbor reset the boiler when he tried to relight the pilot.
    It turns out the pilot was out, the pressuretrol was bad and the pigtail was blocked. The heat is back!!!

The initial company did not call me and when I called them they said they could not get to me today. It was below 30 last night, at least they could have called to tell me they couldn't come out.
    The second company came within 3 hours of being called. He was prompt and polite and answered my questions but alas not well versed. He said enough for me to know he didn't know.I am thankful that he has the heat back on but I am still looking for my steam pro :)
    Thanks, to Dan and his books I can make a more informed decision.
This discussion has been closed.