Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

steam relief

I read "SF and SF" not SF and pounds. The valve seems over-sized by a factor of 2.5 but 15 PSI is what counts.

Thanks for the well-wishes! Susan, the kids are great- hope the same for you and yours.

Comments

• Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    steam relief

How do you cross the steam boiler rating of 663 sq.ft. of steam, to the boiler relief valve rating of 407 lbs.per hr. Thanks
  • Brad White_191
    Brad White_191 Member Posts: 252
    Trick question?

The relief valve rating has to at least match the boiler rating. One cannot count firing rate.
  • John T_3
    John T_3 Member Posts: 34

If I know what you're asking:

1 Sq/ft of steam = 240 btu/hr

1 lb/hr steam = about 1000 btu/hr (970 btu/hr)

so 663 sq/ft steam = 159,120 btu/hr = about 164 lbs/hr

If you're trying to size this to a boiler however you shouldn't use the sq/ft steam capacity of the boiler but the btu/hr input which is not the same.
  • Techman
    no trick

Hi Brad, Happy New Year to you and the Mrs. The relief valve is a Canbraco #13-511,rated at 407 lbs per hr and the steam boiler is a Peerless #EC/ECT-05-175-w/s ,w/663sq/ft/steam,D.O.E.rating-212,000btuh.I'm wondering if the relief is proper.the relief is 3/4" and the boiler has 2,2" risers.
  • Techman
    Relief

John T. The only rating on the valve was that lbs/hr #,not BTU's
  • John T_3
    John T_3 Member Posts: 34

But you're getting the sq/ft steam from the boiler rating plate correct? I always use the input rate from the boiler rating plate.

example: boiler input 400,000 btu/hr divided by 1000 = 400 lbs/hr
  • Techman
    John

Yes,I got the sq.ft. from the boiler name plate. Your math is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks much!
  • RonWHC
    RonWHC Member Posts: 232
    Pressure Relief

& Pop Safety Valves should match, or exceed, the Gross Output Rating. Not the Input.
This discussion has been closed.