Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Old system

Tim_69
Tim_69 Member Posts: 4
I installed a new boiler to this old existing system,,Original pipe for first and second floor is all cast Iron someone over the years decided to keep the same supply and break off the returns , there are check valves installed on the return side and one on the main supply, Second floor however still gets hot even with t-stat off when first floor runs! Owner was and still does not want to re-pipe whole house. I had a similar situation with one radiator on the first floor we installed a check valve there and has resolved the situation, I do not feel that we should do this with all radiators, I mean how many checks can you put in a system,, This may be an easy fix but I am more than likely over looking it. Any help??

Comments

• Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,932
    Diagram

Can you post a drawing of system piping. May just need a set of flowvalve on the right location.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Tim_69
    Tim_69 Member Posts: 4

I can tell ya that I have supply take off 21/2" and the first floor comes back on 1" cooper, The second floor however was keep on the 21/2" old cast pipe and one section comes back with 2" for the second floor, The old system had check valves to separate between the first and second zone and one on the supply, I also did the same on the new system, no one told me that there were problems there in the past so now I have inherited a mess.
  • Dave_145
    Dave_145 Member Posts: 5
    check valve maintenance & system layout

I have a 1927 two pipe steam radiator system. There is a steam trap on each of the 16 radiators and several others in the system. The steam traps are MILVACO with a diaphram and attached valve. I have taken one apart and it is normally open. The valve and valve seat are rusty but not deeply eroded or pitted. I may be able to hear water in the diaphram.
    Questions: Is it prpoer for all traps to be open at the start of heating. Do the traps close when subjected to high temperature water or steam. Does the radiator fill with condensate as long as steam is supplied and then drain as thbe radiator cools. Are there any tricks to refinishing the valve and valve seats.

The system return line enters a cast iron vessel about 12 inches high and 9 inches in diameter located at about the same height as the top of the boiler. The return line has a tee connection that leads up to the bottom of the vessel. There are two lines coming out of the top of the vessel. One line enters the steam header above the boiler. The second line raises straight up and then turns horizontally to meet a steam trap entering it through the inlet port and discharging down through the discharge port into the main return line.
    THe cast iron vessel has a sight glass.

What the heck is the cast iron vessel. What does it do. Are the two lines at the top connected inside. Is this a steam trap. Why is the second line connected to the main return line. Does the water in the vessel rise to the height of the boiler water.

Is there a way to email you a system diagram.
  • Dave_145
    Dave_145 Member Posts: 5
    check valve maintenance & system layout

I have a 1927 two pipe steam radiator system. There is a steam trap on each of the 16 radiators and several others in the system. The steam traps are MILVACO with a diaphram and attached valve. I have taken one apart and it is normally open. The valve and valve seat are rusty but not deeply eroded or pitted. I may be able to hear water in the diaphram.
    Questions: Is it prpoer for all traps to be open at the start of heating. Do the traps close when subjected to high temperature water or steam. Does the radiator fill with condensate as long as steam is supplied and then drain as thbe radiator cools. Are there any tricks to refinishing the valve and valve seats.

The system return line enters a cast iron vessel about 12 inches high and 9 inches in diameter located at about the same height as the top of the boiler. The return line has a tee connection that leads up to the bottom of the vessel. There are two lines coming out of the top of the vessel. One line enters the steam header above the boiler. The second line raises straight up and then turns horizontally to meet a steam trap entering it through the inlet port and discharging down through the discharge port into the main return line.
    THe cast iron vessel has a sight glass.

What the heck is the cast iron vessel. What does it do. Are the two lines at the top connected inside. Is this a steam trap. Why is the second line connected to the main return line. Does the water in the vessel rise to the height of the boiler water.

A system diagram is attached.
This discussion has been closed.