Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

stainless steel hose in solar thermal

hot_rod
hot_rod Member Posts: 22,834
less than a 10% gain by changing the pitch 15 degrees either way of latitude. Across 3 panels how much would that gain for you?

Are you looking to maximize winter gain, and lessen solar gain for overheat issues?

If you have them racked already and they can be easily adjusted.... I suppose, why not. Does the entire rack move, or do you need to lift each panel? Moving one at a time, with them unioned together could be a hassle.

Any of the stainless solar flex products on the market should allow some movement if you leave an "expansion" loop.

Be sure what ever product you chose can handle 350F temperatures at the pressure you are considering.

hr
Bob "hot rod" Rohr
trainer for Caleffi NA
Living the hydronic dream

Comments

• michael_34
    michael_34 Member Posts: 304
    stainless steel hose in solar thermal

Ok,
    This is my brave new idea (I am sure someone has tried or thought of this). I just installed a 3 Heliodyne Gobi ground mount system. I want to make it adjustable for Pitch (from 50 to 75degrees). I believe if I use such as the Flextrol smooth bore flex line at a length of 5 feet or so I should be able to adjust the pitch without compromising flow.
    So here is the idea. Heliodyne came out with a new racking system (with is a pain in the **** to use, but...) and has the capability to be an adjusting rack. I want to put a stainless steel hose in the middle of the hot line coming from the top of the collector and one on the cold. as it looks, I won't have to move the collectors more than eight inches up or down to get the pitch I desire. THis not creating a large bend in the flex line.
    Tell me what you think.
    Fun.
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,500
    Your idea...

... will probably work just fine, but I question the need. Collector performance doesn't seriously drop off until you're 15 to 20 degrees off. (I'm trying to remember back 20+ years here) Simple is always better than complicated as it hold up better. Might better insulation or some other move give you the same gain in performance without the downside?

Another way to look at the question is; would anybody other than you be willing to move the collectors twice yearly?

Yours, Larry
  • Mark Custis
    Mark Custis Member Posts: 537
    Micheal

How often will it flex? I am not worried about flow, just flexability. We do not need leaks.

May I email you at your work addy?
  • michael_34
    Mark

Yes,
    Feel free to email my work address.
  • michael_34
    Hot Rod

Yes it is for solar gain in the winter and minimize the summer heat.
    The panels will all move at once with a really easy leverage system (see attached pictures). What do you mean by an expansion loop. Any suggestions on what product to use?

• Metro Man
    Metro Man Member Posts: 220
    money spent

You would be WAY ahead of the game to angle for 50 ish degrees and spend your money on boxing and insulating array. Ground mount systems are the worst for retaining heat. Middle of winter, panels stuck up in the air, winds howling though back, getting cold just looking at it. The R-whatever built into the collectors may need some help.

My 2c

Metro Man
  • Mark Custis
    You have mail

Thanks Micheal
  • Mark Custis
    Flexable

My bad. I missed the loop comment and what you are trying to do with the system until I looked at the photographs.

We used vibration loops in refrigeration piping to eliminate craking the copper.

I think you could take CSST at least once around, maybe twice around, to take the stress and maintain the flow and outlast the collectors. Think a "pig tail" off a steamer to the pressuretrol. Or that coil of pipe behind the refrigerator with the ice machine.

I could draw a picture, but it is supper time.
This discussion has been closed.