Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

burnham dvle boiler

when I built my home. I installed a thermodynamics dv with an af2. I had so much trouble with that thing it was unbelievable. I should have opted for the dv riello but this was 16 years ago and I wasnt really familiar with Riello. This was also before they installed the interupted ignition on the af2 which meant even after the flame patern was billowing out black smoke on my brick it just kept relighting. Anyway to make a long miserable story short I installed a terlund and a riello and it worked fine for many years with just an annual cleaning.

Comments

• clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,145
    Burmhan DVLE boiler promblems

Happy new year ,just wondering if any one has had issues with the direct vent burnham Dv boiler ,the vent kit is installed to manafuctures specs and i have added the outside air kit due the this home being built under the nys engerny guidelines which means it pretty tight and had some combustion air promblems .The home sits on the down side of one mountain which seats between a few other mountains ,plumbing vents had to be raised due to the down draft and constant sewer smells in the front and rear of the home{raised over 2 .5 ft smeels gone}the real promblem is that there is a constant wind and down draft where this unit is located and some times when i have been there the burner will pulse like to much excess air from high gusts oof winds .Has anyone ran into this ,i'm not a big fan of oil fired DV boilers but i did not install just asked to straighten out ,install co has told HO it's 600 bucks just to open the boiler to see if it's clean it's more likely that they don't do service ,i have gone over every thing on this unit and checked what i have against burnhams specs for this unit and all is fine except with a zreo to trace of smoke and all the combustion # are dead on ,single pipe off bottom of the tank burner is a beckett af2 with a small general filter and a tiger loop ultra (builder was burning off road and god knows what for a time )new tank which was plugging filter now is a little better ,promblem she was getting dirty and locking out but would light off after the reset was hit and run some times for days ,could these lock out be from heavy winds ,i just installed the tiger loop yesterday and the flame sharped up and sounds much better then before but she was not running any vacume oil lines are 3/8 about 20 ft from the tank .Would the HO be better off having a tjerlund ss1 kit to stop this high wind from affecting the units draft peace and good luck clammy

R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating

• clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,145
    thanks

i have worked on direct vent oil boilers many times and it always seems that some will run fine with no promblems while otherslike this one just don't and ended up becoming a promblem ,i have already planted the seed for a tjerlund ss1 but as usual it's a tough install due to the building framing and how and where they stuffed the boiler.As always i can never believe the cheapness of builders and cutting corner by not first going through the deal of constrution of a real chimmey and then to add insult to the fact they disreguard the combustion air side completly on homes that they build that are quite tight funniest thing is there own homes have masonary chimmy.this af2 is now running good and most i have to say have really never given me any promblems but all had pre /post delay valve and interupted ingintion and single pipe from the tank with a tiger loop peace and thanks clammy

R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating

• JaredM
    JaredM Member Posts: 57

Clammy, A few years ago I pulled my hair out with an LEDV that just would not settle in and cooperate. What we finally determined that was because the basement had high walls and the boiler sat on the floor there was actually a negative draft created under certain conditions which was creating an unstable flame. I tried a bunch of things with Burnhams input to try and correct this. The final solution was to install a Riello direct vent burner (the one with the cast metal cover) which solved all of the problems.

-Jared

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.