Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Flexible pipe for steam?

Options
Dan B_2
Dan B_2 Member Posts: 6
Is there a type of flexible pipe that can be used for steam supply or return? I have a spot where it would be very convenient. Thanks, Dan

Comments

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    That's why we have swing joints...

Cumbersome, but effective and will last a LONG time.

I'm sure there are some stainless steel/rubber flex components out there, but life expectancy is short. And then there is the operating temperature issue...

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • Dan B_2
    Dan B_2 Member Posts: 6
    Options
    reply to Mark

Mark, thanks. Can you refer me to someplace where I can learn about swing joints? I don't know much about them. Thanks, Dan
  • scrook_2
    scrook_2 Member Posts: 610
    Options

Look here for photos of steam drop headers -- these function as swing joints due to multiple elbows:(as well as help keep the steam dry). By having several elbows and changes of direction instead of going straight, the piping can move by swinging ever so slightly at the elbows, it's no longer completely rigid. Think of the elbows as pivots, and the pipes/nipples as rigid links.

Flexible steam rated corrigated stainless connectors w/ braided jackets, and flanges or pipe threads are available at a price, but beware of trapping condensate in the corrigations. See "braided hose" in McMaster-Carr for examples. Check for steam rating. These are commonly used to connect fixed plumbing to air compressors to take up compressor vibration.

Bellows type expansion coupling are also available in large sizes for really long pipe runs.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Swing joints...

a picture can be found here...

http://forums.invision.net/Attachment.cfm?reserve tnk1.JPG&CFApp=2&Attachment_ID=36357

Swing joints are an assembly of elbows and nipples as seen in the lower right hand portion of the photo.

ME
This discussion has been closed.