Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

peerless pigtails

That's alot of protection . But well worth it , considering the cost of the controls on the ends of 'em .

Alot of the steamers we install don't come with pigtails anymore . Pressuretrols too . I like the idea of using larger nipples and tees and ells to make your own pigtail . Less of a chance of clogging up .

Comments

• peerless pigtails

for what it is worth, here is how i increased the vaporstat protection on my peerless 211-a which did not come with pigtails, but is meant to be protected by their version of a steam syphon.

if one is good then maybe 2 are better!--nbc
  • piggies

i wanted to have room for 2 vaporstats [ in case i go ahead with a 2-stage burner], a high-limit pressuretrol, and a low pressure gauge, so i needed that length, and height above the waterline. if the v-stat is too low then it interfers with skimming by feeling the elevated waterline height, and cutting off the flame. longer vertical nipples would have worked, but were flimsy.--nbc
  • GREG LAUER
    GREG LAUER Member Posts: 103
    why

I think the reason they do not come with them anymore is like here in PA the piggys must be non ferrus meaning brass and well that adds a buck or two and we just cant have that now can we?
  • SusanC
    SusanC Member Posts: 106
    non-mercury vaporstats?

I notice the pigtail donut hole direction; I'm guessing the vaporstats do not use mercury. Not meaning to be nit-picky but nowadays pictures can be potentially confusing with both mercury and non-mercury vaporstats in operation.
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    compound wrench--a beauty

that compound wrench is worth more than a few shekels. do ya know how to use it ??
  • compound wrench

it's from e-bay, and i will use it to remove the caps on the nipples into the mud-leg area this summer, to give a good cleaning "behind the ears".

more sheckals to ship than buy!--nbc
  • Harvey_2
    Harvey_2 Member Posts: 27
    vaporstats

What is the model # of the vaporstats you used? Where can I find a gauge that reads 0 - 5 psi? Thanks for your help!
  • JB_8
    JB_8 Member Posts: 85
    low pressure gauge

gaugestore.com
  • Jim_64
    Jim_64 Member Posts: 253
    hey nbc

newbie question here; why do steam pressure gauges have a vacuum side? under what conditions will the boiler run in a vacuum; and why would we need to know that/when would we catch it doing that?
  • Supply House Rick
    Supply House Rick Member Posts: 1,399
    vacuum

when the radiators, pipes, and the boiler are full of steam, with all the air having been driven out; and then the burner cuts off, the steam condenses rapidly. now you have a vacuum which must be relieved. the main vents do most of this, with a little help from the radiator vents. this yet another reason why the main vents are so important for comfortable, quiet, and economical steam systems--nbc

you can read about old systems that ran at subatmospheric pressures in "the lost art of steam heating" available here. unfortunately they functioned better with coal boilers than modern gas/oil boilers, so are not now much in use.
This discussion has been closed.