Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

More issues than readers digest thread

Options
Jeff_129
Jeff_129 Member Posts: 3
I am glad it was taken down, I didn't post that headache in the shower comment, although I thought it was funny. I quess anyone can change the author name.

Comments

• Mitch_6
    Mitch_6 Member Posts: 549
    Options
    Is it just me or

what happened to the more issues than readers digest thread

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • radiconnection
    radiconnection Member Posts: 29
    Options

The subscription was cancelled. "Past issues" can be viewed over at oiltechtalk.com for the time being :)
  • Mitch_6
    Options
    Lots of threads have removed

by moderator but title remains would be nice if they did that here

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Bob Burnham
    Bob Burnham Member Posts: 18
    Options
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE DANNY DELETO!!!

Danny Deleto, Mr Holohan himself! He has the power and the glory to remove any post. They are usually more entertaining than the dreck that haunts this site. Unemployed egomaniacs communicating with loners, where do I sign up? OTT is a superior site ask Constantine
  • DanHolohan
    DanHolohan Member, Moderator, Administrator Posts: 16,529
    Options
    It's true.

I dump the nasty stuff. Always will.

Love the nickname. Sounds very space age!
    Retired and loving it.
  • Jeffs bro
    Jeffs bro Member Posts: 3
    Options

Hello, I am the now infamous "Jeff's crazy Brother" which is true. The reason I have a combustion analyzer and a draft gage is because 7 years ago I had a new heating system installed and after reading the manual it required that the combustion be tested and gave a range of where those numbers should fall. I was home when the unit was installed and I was with the installer when he “fired it up” and no combustion test was ever done. I called him and asked him to do the test and got "the flame looked good" response. I tried to call several people other heating professionals and no one I talked with had an analyzer. So fearing for my family's safety and losing efficacy from this new boiler I went ahead and bought one. I also took a class to help me understand. I do test family member’s homes if the people working on their equipment don't have one, which is most. I don't fix the equipment I just tell them the numbers. Normally the numbers are listed in the manual, in Jeff's case they were not listed.

The reality is my experience 7 years ago and since then has jaded me to the heating industry. More than half the time I test after the equipment was worked by heating professionals the combustion numbers are out of range. The worst was when I checked my parents house 2 days after they had their boiler serviced. The CO locked out my analyzer and the draft was weak at best. They came back and "fixed the problem." I retested and got another lock out on CO. Now they are giving my Dad attitude because he's calling back. I sent Jeff here because his manual didn't have the numbers and he had the other issue as well.

I think the problem with his thread is people thought it was a joke and started posting answers as "Jeff" and were not the real Jeff and things went down hill from there. Now it may be true that Jeff needs a professional to look at his equipment. But how can he be sure he is getting one when 50% (I'm being generous here) don't set up equipment according to the manual specs and don’t test combustion. It is very unfortunate for the many of you who are experts and take great pride in your work.
  • jim s_2
    jim s_2 Member Posts: 113
    Options

Sounds like Frank from Philly.
  • radiconnection
    Options

Sounds like an enforcer from the Sopranos :) Danny Deleto..
  • mdewolfe_2
    mdewolfe_2 Member Posts: 2
    Options

well,
    all leg pulling aside, the ability to buy a scalple and take a class in first aid does not make you a doctor. I have spent 19 years in the heating trade and I have many many more to go until I know it all...LOL.. learning combustion is a art and should be considered one too. I would urge you to hire a pro and let them handle it from there..CO,Fire,Gas,and Hot water are best left to the guys who handle them everyday!
  • Mitch_6
    Options
    Jeff's bro if you had taken the class

and I am not stating you did not. You would find readings that are standard on "types" of equipment. I got a chart when taking Jim Davis's class and it gave me readings for gas package, gas power burner and oil burner ranges along with other readings. The 4% o2 was good for an oil boiler or power gas burner but to low for a package boiler. the problem with the co is it was just one reading as stand alone it is acceptable. If one number of a rising count it is not acceptable.

Just posting the number does not tell me anything else but one very thin slice of the pie. I have to watch the analyzer performed for a given time and watch draft at the breach and in the flue and watch the temperature of the boiler and stack temperatures for the full picture.

• Perry_5
    Perry_5 Member Posts: 141
    Options
    So why didn't Jeff or you...

So why didn't Jeff or you follow my advice and post on the thread their location (i.e Bumport, New Jersey) so that people on this site could direct you to a real professional.

I did note that many heating contractors were not real professionals.

Many people here know it too.

Perry
  • radiconnection
    Options

deleted.
  • Jeff_129
    Options

Thanks Mitch. By bro just brought some books over last night. I am looking at Jim Davis's "rule of thumb" for residential oil burners on page 30 of combustion analysis and diagnostics, but i don't understand or see info on what you call "package". The beckett AFG has a flame retention ring right? My CO level is steady and goes down at shut off.
  • Jeffs bro
    Jeffs bro Member Posts: 3
    Options

Your right, I sould have told him to post the start up, run and shutdown along with how stable they were. It would have given you a better picture.
  • Mitch_6
    Options
    Package is actually a conventional

draft gas boiler I am off on the terminology because what I work on is typically a package boiler. It comes assembled uses stainless steal gas logs, made of cast iron and vents up a chimney using natural draft.

My bad on terminology.

You apparently know more than the average tech I see in the field but just like them, enough to be dangerous.

We were just dealing with an MIT graduate student, he was looking at a cut sheet for a toilet and could not figure out how to check rough.

Knowledge is one thing but it must be matched with experience to work properly.

• Jeff_129
    Options

What happened? I liked your post.
This discussion has been closed.