Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Flushing a steam system with TSP

You might want to contact Rhomar. They are pretty helpful.

http://www.rhomarwater.com/products/residential-steam-system/

Comments

• Paul G
    Paul G Member Posts: 1
    Steam Boiler Flush With TSP

We are currently working with a steam boiler that has a lot of dirt/oils etc. We just picked up this customer. I seem to remember some wise old man talking about flushing a system with TSP (Trisodium Phosphate) Does anyone out there know the proper procedure...Squick just doesn't seem to get the dirt out on this partictular project.
    Thanks in advance and Merry Christmas
  • JB_8
    JB_8 Member Posts: 85
    Squick

One cup per 100,000 BTU input for the TSP. Squick can crack your boiler do not use it.
  • sreja
    sreja Member Posts: 175

Dan's Big Book (Lost Art of Steam Heating) goes into a ton of detail on cleaning procedures -- both those recommending by boiler making companies and his own.

I'm no expert but there are some real pros and cons it seems with all of the methods, and some tricky issues when using chemicals. Mostly how to remove the chemicals from the boiler and the downsides of letting any chemicals go up into the building pipes (basically the chemicals will "clean" the pipes but this could cause more trouble than its worth).

Not saying not to use them -- and i'm a complete amateur so don't put too much stock in what i say. But after reading dan's books and the boiler manual -- i decided it just wasn't worth the risk of using chemicals since i wasn't confident i wouldn't do more harm than good.
  • cleaning boiler

do a search here[button on orange banner above]-key word "skimming", which is the term for the correct way to clean a steam boiler. about the only chemical i have used is arm & hammer washing soda [recommended by peerless boiler] 4 lb. per 1,000,000 btu. squick will not be a substitute for this. the web site of the boiler mfg. may also have instructions on this.

dan's book goes into this in some detail, and i can see you will benefit from it.--nbc
  • A lot depends

on the type of boiler you have. If it uses rubber-like seals between the sections, do NOT use any type of chemical as it may rot out the seals.

If it has steel push nipples between the sections, it's far more forgiving in that regard. But I still would avoid chemicals in favor of flushing the boiler out with a hose, then skimming it.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • steveex
    steveex Member Posts: 95

A 4 hour skim session will do you good. By a pro of course.
This discussion has been closed.