Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Chimney size

Jim Pompetti
Jim Pompetti Member Posts: 552
A chimney guy is installing a new masonry chimney . 175 BTU'S in chimney height about 27 ft . Boiler venting is 6" .What is the max size of the masonry flue . No other appliance is to be vented.

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=289&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Bob Harper
    Bob Harper Member Posts: 1,071
    masonry chimney for heater?

Jim, first of all, why in the world is he building a masonry chimney when we have stainless steel listed chimneys that are light years better than masonry?

Terra cotta flue tile and mortar is an obscelete building system and should be banned.

At 30 ft, your std. nominal 8x8 flue tile would handle roughly 275mbtuh. Since this is oversized by one third, it should have a listed liner right off the bat. You could put a 6" factory chimney that is round with no cold corners, no lousy joints that fail and a listed, warrantied product with insulation that maintains a stable draft.

If they must have a masonry exterior, you can still drop a listed liner properly sized, insulated, listed. Quicker, easier with far better performance, ease of maint. and is listed and warrantied.

Give me a call. I gave you my card when we met at R.E. Michel about a week ago.
    Bob
  • Jack
    Jack Member Posts: 1,048
    Bob pretty much has it....

but a couple other things to consider. Basic physics, when a gas expands, it cools. Do not oversize. A masonry chimney follows the old adobe principal. Masonry never saw a btu it wasn't willing to absorb, which exacerbates the first point.

Essentially, in todays world, for todays equipment, a masonry chimney is an excellent architectural device but a very, very poor mechanical device.

Personally, I would never pay to build a masonry chimney.
  • Jim Pompetti
    Jim Pompetti Member Posts: 552
    Chimney

It was not a descession on the chimney ,its to keep the look of the house . But thanks for the info.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
This discussion has been closed.