Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

should I trust this gas meter?

Jim Bennett
Jim Bennett Member Posts: 607
Tim McElwain, he used to work for a gas utility.

Personally, I'd be suspicious.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

• Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040

Went out to clock the meter on a possible underfired steamer, and dials were froze up. Gas tech says when he got there (20* warmer that day) that dials are fine, but did nothing. 2 foot rest dial does not move evenly at all, but same results of time each time, 45 seconds. I figure this means 160 cu' per hour. (60*60*dial size 2=7200) 7200/45=160. I have 18 rads at about 60 EDR each. (no access to units to measure each exact but I have seen them) Does this sound right?

Tim
    Just a guy running some pipes.
  • Timco

Well, BTU content in SLC is 890, so I have it firing at 142,400 if the meter is right. The hall rad is smaller than most, and it is 14,000 btu. there are 17 or so total. If meter is right, I am way underfired...

Tim
  • I assume you have

an outdoor meter with a 1/2 foot dial and a 2 foot dial is that correct? I also assume this meter is temperature compensated?

It is pretty unusual for what you say is happening to happen. I personally have never experienced it and I have clocked meters with temps down around -5 degrees in the past with wind chill way below that and they till work. Keep in mind the gas comany would be losing money if they did not work.

Now my next question, does this meter have AMR hooked up, that is Automatic Meter Reading, if so then the test dials on those can sometimes be a little erratic. Clock the burner several times using the 1/2 foot dial and let it do two rotations then divide the number of seconds into 3600 that will give you cubic feet, mutiply that times the BTU content of the gas that day (utility should be able to give you that).Do this a couple of times and see if it averages out about the same each time.

Or take a gas pressure and then with your drill kit for drilling orifices measure the size of the orifices and chart it out and that will get you close enough for what you are doing.

A real good tool for making all this easy is a Bryant Gas Orifice and Pipe size calculator part number MP-5706B
  • That BTU content

is very low, do they mix air with the gas due to altitude in your area?

What does the rating plate say is the input to this unit?
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    Double-check it

as Tim says, by taking the manifold pressure after the gas valve, and checking the burner orifices to see how much gas they will pass at that pressure. Also check the incoming pressure before the gas train and see if it drops way off when the boiler fires up.

Then you can call them back if the meter is bad and have the numbers to back it up.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Timco

Yes, 890 is our content. Meter does have wireless x-mitter. Air is mixed in. Please see new post, steamer stumper solved!

Tim
  • mark ransley
    mark ransley Member Posts: 155

If it doesnt move you dont pay right, why complain, I wish I had your meter.
This discussion has been closed.