Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

H.B. Smith 25 Mills

Dale
Dale Member Posts: 1,317
Well the highest point on the mains should be near the boiler so the mains can slope away from the boiler to return any condensate back to the boiler. Sounds like you have some sort of belly where water is collecting, not uncommon. Also with near boiler pics perhaps we can spot some piping that leads to wet steam. And, how long since the boiler was skimmed/cleaned? Once you get dry steam, if you still need to, you can put one pipe thermostat vents on the apt. that gets too hot

Comments

• MikeyB
    MikeyB Member Posts: 696
    H.B. Smith 25 Mills

The Boiler: H.B. Smith 25 MILLS
    The Problem: Uneven heat.
    Hi my name is Bruce and I am in Southwest NH. I have lived with this steam system for 25 years and have always used the open the window system to regulate the heat. The building is 4 units, 1 first floor, 2 on the second floor and 1 in the attic. There is one thermostat, a round honeywell in my apt. The thermo seems to be working ok, the boiler comes on 2 below the set temp and goes off 2 above the set temp.
    My problem is I can't get one apt. on the second floor warm without making the rest of the building way too hot. I have replaced the radiator valves with new dole vari-vents. Yet I still have to remove them weekly and shake the water out to keep them working.
    This is a one pipe system installed by my grand father (very good handyman, not a plumber). There are 5 main vents,two of which I replaced today. Still have the same problem uneven heat and water in my vents.
    I have included 2 pics of what I think is strange. The pics show the a main line that goes up and on to the other end of the building and goes down and back to the boiler. There are 3 loops on this system and this is the only one piped this way.
    Any help would be welcomed.
    Thanks Bruce
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,800
    What pressure are you running? Takes some pics of the front,

sides and back of boiler so we all can peruse.
  • MikeyB
    I have placed a level here and there and

everything seems to be pitched correctly. thermostat is set st 68. It is currently 64 in the coldest room (farthest from boiler and 76 in the warmest room (directly over the boiler). I don't know what the pressure is the gauge does not read. I guess a new gauge is the next step. I have some more pics. Not very good ones. I don't think it has ever been skimmed, there is a 2" plug on one side at the water line. Is this where I should skim it?
    Thanks Bruce
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,800
    No hartford loop that I can see, any others see this. Also would

be nice to know how much pressure your running at so a operating gauge will be good. Also sounds like your main venting is not working well?? possibly?
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    ancient boiler

it looks even older than 25 yrs! not to worry, put a nipple and ball valve in that tapping you described. the mfgs. website, or dans book will have some directions how to procede with skimming.

i don't see the hartford loop, nor do i see much height in the header above the waterline [a likely source of wet steam]. luckily the pipes are insulated pretty well-a plus.

determining the pressure, and getting it down below 16 oz. would be my priority on this boiler, along with plenty of venting capacity.--nbc
  • Dale
    Dale Member Posts: 1,317
    My guess is that your boiler is at least 45 years old, mid 60"s at the newest. You don't see try cocks behind the gauge glass on 25 year old product. If you haven't had it skimmed that is the first step to dry steam. Your vent connector is pretty rusty so to save fuel I would have the flue passages cleaned and spring for new vent connector pipe. Also, you are stringing valves on the low water cutoff outlet, WM makes a nice ball valve to replace the old flapper, when you change it take out the lwco float and throughly clean the inside of the #67. With steam the safety aspect should come before all else.
  • MikeyB
    Hartford loop

In My first pictures I posted I show the main going up in two directions and going down in one. This joint is about 10 feet from the boiler. The one that goes down has a main vent and goes right back to the boiler. Would that be considered a hartford loop?
  • MikeyB
    OLD!

I would agree with you as to the age of the boiler. It was installed by my grandfather who died in 1962. I am guess it may go back to the 40's. I am going to contact HB Smith and see if they can tell us. The rust you see is the water line from the 2005 flood. As for the extra valve, it has always been that way as far as I know. I am going to buy me a book!
  • Frank_63
    Frank_63 Member Posts: 40
    Progress report

I have main some progress toward my goal of dry steam. After getting some info from Smith Boilers, I found my water level was to high. Lowering the water and replacing 2 of the 5 main vents has been a vast improvement.
This discussion has been closed.