Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Wanted: Long Island Plumber-Sharpshooter

Ron S_2
Ron S_2 Member Posts: 7
Hi Folks --

I'm looking for a very tech-savvy plumber/troubleshooter within reasonable distance of Huntington, Long Island, who can solve a number of issues, some of which have been posted to the Wall.

They include:

1. Identifying source of high levels of lead, tin, and other metals in domestic hot water (not cold) in system with a 2003 W-M stainless steel indirect heater and recirculation.

2. Identify cause of pinhole leaks in copper tubing and map out solution.

3. Understand and troubleshoot some minor issues in an otherwise lovely and elegant radiant system.

4. Assist with debugging an "open circuit return sensor" (flashing "limit" LED) problem and intermittant short cycling problem on a 2003 W-M GV Gold gas boiler.

Sense of humor, reasonable reliability, and fair pricing a "plus".
;-)

Can respond on Wall or privately at:
rks1@aol.com

Thanks,
Ron S

Comments

• Perry_5
    Perry_5 Member Posts: 141
    Has your local water utility changed from Chlorine...

A good portion of your list of problems looks very much what I've been reading about happening elsewhere in the US.

If you have not been paying attention - Chlorine water treatment can cause health problems (not that it seems to have killed anyone in the last 100 years or so - and it sure has prevented a lot of other problems).

Anyway, there is a drive in some areas to switch to other water treatment chemicals and either eliminate or greatly reduce the use of Chlorine. These alternate chemicals don't produce the "bad stuff" that chlorine does (but of course they have their own trace byproducts too - and I've not seen any research that they are actually safer than the Chlorine byproducts).

These alternate chemicals are known to result in pitting of copper water piping - and of brass valves and fittings. Older brass often contained lead. Of course - these things occur faster on hot water systems than on cold water systems (but it will get to the cold water piping).

So; I'd check with your local water utility and see if they have changed away from Chlorine - or substantially reduced chlorine (and started using other things). If so, then your potable water problems are clearly identified. You will need to replace all of your copper water system with either plastic or galvanized pipe (and the water utility is likely not responsible for that cost).

If you search the web for Chlorine Water Treatment you should find more information.

I thought that California had led the way on this - via state mandate - and lots of interesting plumbing problems seem to be occurring out there. But that would not stop any other water utility from going that route. When I worked for a Municipal Utility (in the late 80's; City about 20,000 people) and the Chlorine issues were first being identified - with limits on the traces being imposed. The City I was at chose to build a $10+ Million water pre-treatment plant to substantially clean up the water before chlorination to reduce the chlorine needed - and reduce the chlorine by-products (to me that is the right solution to the problem). However, for a much larger city the cost could be quite high. Note; the City I was at was marginal on other water quality issues and needed a new water treatment plant to address those issues as well.

If your city did not change treatment chemicals - then you do need to get someone in who is an expert on issues in your area.

I have no advice on the boiler problem.

Perry
  • rob brown
    rob brown Member Posts: 69
    gv

ron, the blinking "limit" l.e.d. is most likely a missing jumper on the boiler control box. if you look at the box with the lettering upright, on the right side you'll see a 2 prong socket, which should have a jumper in it. (if yours is a series 1 or 2, no jumper if a 3 series) not sure if it's a regular jumper or a resistor of some type.as far the pinholes go, i see a lot of pinhole leaks, almost all on well water with no treatment for ph. our water is very acidic right out of the ground.i would check and treat the water for ph. and the lead and tin, if your water is acidic, would point to 50-50 solder as probable culprit. is your plumbing system more than 15 to 20 years old?if yes than it almost definitely has lead- tin solder.issue is likely exacerbated by re-circ system. rob

This discussion has been closed.