Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Air vent sucking air with loud hissing

Options
Jim_175
Jim_175 Member Posts: 5
Thanks. Yesterday afternoon I phoned Gorton directly regarding the angle "D" air vent and they told me do make it. I checked with several other plumbing stores in my neighborhood and finally find one!

However, after replacing the short run "C" air vent directly on the pipe with a "D" I am still hearing the sucking. Maybe the D does not provide enough venting power. And I was wondering if it make sense to use a Gorton 1 instead of a 'C' on the last radiator element that is connected to this short run. After all, at the end run pipe it has only a 1/8" threaded opening as to the radiator I have the option to use a 3/8" size air vent without drilling and threading any holes.

Thanks.

-Jim

Comments

• Jim_175
    Options
    Air vent sucking air with loud hissing

Hi,

I have a two section one pipe steam system. The pipe is split right after it leaves the boiler with one going to the bedrooms and the other to the rest of the house. I replaced all the air vent and valve(knob) three years ago and since then I had some air vent sucking in air with loud hissing or sucking noise. The noise is heard after the steam pipe is already heated up and is in the process of cooling. BTW, on the longer run pipe (rest of the house - 10 radiators) there is a Gorton 2 air eliminator that replaced an old bullet shaped air eliminator. As for the short run (bedrooms - 2 radiators) there is no air eliminator.

I replaced the air vent that is making the sucking noise with a different vent size and the noise goes to a different vent. I just can't seem to make the noise go away completely.

Thanks.
    -Jim
  • alang
    alang Member Posts: 35
    Options
    When the boiler stops firing

and the steam in your pipes & radiators cools and condenses, it reduces in volume by a factor of ~1700:1. That creates the vacuum and the vents are the means of back-filling the system with air. If you had a main vent on the bedroom loop a majority of air could backfill the pipes from this point, at a location (in the basement) that is typically less obtrusive.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    Options
    vacuum

when the burner cuts off, a vacuum develops in the boiler, pipes, and radiators. the main vents not only have to get the air out when steam is coming up, but also let the air back in at the end of burn. each run shouls have its own main vent, and you are lacking 1 main vent. try putting another gorton on the the other run. it must have had one at one time. if you replace radiator vents, try to get gorton or hoffman. the cheapies may be unable to relieve the vacuum.--nbc
  • Jim_175
    Options

The air sucking is not confined to the bedroom but to other air vents in the long run pipe too. For example, if the bedroom air vent with a Gorton 6 makes the sucking noise I replace it with a Gorton C or D and the sucking moves to one of the radiator connected to the long run pipe.

BTW, the short run pipe passes four rooms on two floors in a straight pipe above the boiler. At the end of the straight pipe on the second floor there is also a Gorton C angle vent - a total of 3 air vents connected to the short run pipe.

Should I change the angle C to and angle D? or any suggestions? I was told by two plumbing stores that Gorton does not make angle D air vent.

Thanks.
    -Jim
  • Jim_175
    Options

All my air vents are Gorton. Do you know where I can purchase a 1/8" angled air eliminator?

Thanks.
    -Jim
  • alang
    alang Member Posts: 35
    Options
    I have several

Gorton D vents on radiators in my house - I guess they're illegal counterfeits :). Seriously, Gorton does make a "D" vent - you might have to order them over the internet.

My plumbing supply guys didn't know that a Gorton #2 main vent existed. They stated that I was the first customer that had ever asked for one.

It makes sense that the hissing will come from the radiator with the smallest vent on it. Is it possible for you to put a Gorton #1 main vent on the top of that riser instead of the "C". The #1 has so much more venting capacity that it may be able to vent that branch more efficiently.
  • rich pickering
    rich pickering Member Posts: 277
    Options

I had the same problem as you do and installed a vacuum breaker on a tapped whole in the main that had the problem radiator. No more noise.

End of story.
  • Jim_175
    Options

Where can I find more information about vacuum breaker?
  • rich pickering
    rich pickering Member Posts: 277
    Options

Every water heater has one. Nothing special. Every plumbing supplier or Home Depot will sell them.
  • movin2gas
    movin2gas Member Posts: 25
    Options
    At a lost

O.K. I guess I do have an air vacuum issue but I never had this issue a few years back before I replaced all the air vents.

I double checked the short main in the basement and it doesn't have an air vent. Near the end of the vertical riser (2nd floor) it has an angled Gorton C air valve. I had tried many things for the past few weeks playing with the air valves all over the house but I am still getting the air sucking noise at the end of the heating cycle. As for the riser I even replaced the C with two Gorton D valves, a #6, an another brand new C but to no avail. It is strange because the sucking noise will come from this specific location if I replace this original C with anything else. Once the original C is placed back the noise goes somewhere else.

Now my question is what else can I do beside installing a vacuum breaker on the short main? Which I believe is going to require some major work. And unfortunately, the short main(~10ft) does not have anymore headroom as the pipe is almost touching the basement ceiling. Since a Gorton D is the same as a Gorton #1 would that be sufficient if an angle D is installed at the end of the riser? Will this be equivalent to having a Gorton #1 installed on the short main?

Thanks.

-Jim
This discussion has been closed.