Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pex-AL-Pex

ScottRW
ScottRW Member Posts: 33
Use 200 psi Poly. Thicker wall than pex and made for direct burial. I will add that (as an excavator) I almost always sleeve my direct bury lines with 3" or 4" non-perf ADS pipe. Gives an extra foot of frost protection and protects the line from a rocky backfill.

Comments

• MikeyB
    MikeyB Member Posts: 696
    pex-al-pex

Hey guys, Im looking to use Pex-Al-Pex (Mr.Pex) tubing for a cold water application which will be below the frost line in a trench approx 4' deep or so. Is this tubing approved for domestic use? It looks like it will be alot easier to handle down in a trech than regular pex.Does anyone see a problem with burying this tubing in a trench without insulating it? Also what is the recommended connection style fitting for this tubing, looking to make transitions from cooper to this tubing, thanks for your help guys
  • Steve Ebels_3
    Steve Ebels_3 Member Posts: 1,291
    Don't know about Mr Pex

Viega's FoSta pex is rated for domestic water supply as well as heating use. We've run miles of the stuff in all kinds of applications and never had any issues or inspectors with raised eyebrows.
  • MikeyB
    PEX

Sounds good, will look into the Fosta as well, no need to insuate right? thanks for your help
  • lee_7
    lee_7 Member Posts: 457

why not insulate for protection at the very least?
  • Dave Stroman
    Dave Stroman Member Posts: 766

Be careful, some fittings are not intended to be buried.

Dave Stroman

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• bb_10
    bb_10 Member Posts: 29
    Check out

Uponor's multicore PEX.

bb

• that tubing is rated for potable use. uninsulated outdoor pipe is usually a bad idea.
  • eluv8
    eluv8 Member Posts: 174
    Multicore Pipe

Note: Uponor Multicore is a great product but last I checked it was not rated for NSF-PW, Heating Only. Like was mentioned before if you need to place a fitting underground I would at least wrap it with some ten mil tape to help protect it from the elements.
  • MikeyB
    pex-al-pex

Thanks for the reply guys, there will only be about 2 connections and both will be above ground, This line will be for a cw service for a pool house about 100 feet away from the water main in the house, it will only be in use during the summer for the pool, and I will leave connections for the H.O to blow the line out before the cold weather. this kind of tubing looks to be a better choice when rolling it out down in a ditch, I will insulate it as well.
  • Jed_2
    Jed_2 Member Posts: 781
    I'm confused

160psi-200psi Polyethylene Well Pipe; insulate it, and save some money. Why the fixation on P-A-P?

Jed
  • Ron Gillen
    Ron Gillen Member Posts: 124
    Me Too

If you are entering both buildings through the floor and are below the frost line for you area, use PE, PEX, PE/AL/PE, PEX/AL/PEX, copper, who gives a (oops), cares, they are all approved for cold water underground service. No need to insulate, no need to blow out the lines. Am I missing something?
  • Tim Weaver
    Tim Weaver Member Posts: 49
    well drillers use it

Around here, (Colo.) the well guys have been using a type of blue 1" pex-al-pex between the well casing and the Pressure tank inside the house. Looks just like Kitec and may be Kitec for all I know. They use the same O-ring compression fittings to adapt to pipe threads for the pitless on one end and the FIP tank tee at the other. Check with a Well Pump Supplier. Be careful when backfilling your trench that you don't drop a rock on it, as I imagine it will crush easier than K copper.
    Edit: I believe they are using special adapters that employ a type of flare to meet code for underground burial.
  • lee_7
    lee_7 Member Posts: 457

I only said to insulate for pipe protection from rocks. Is not needed if below frost line, as long as it IS below frost line
  • Perry_5
    Perry_5 Member Posts: 141
    Make that well below the frost line...

The frost line changes year to year. A couple of colder than normal winters in a row will drop it another foot or so...

This has greatly affected some geothermal systems. They don't work well when the frost line drops.... and the fact that they are removing heat from the soil actually can pull the frost line down deeper than it used to be...

Perry
  • MikeyB
    pex-al-pex

It will be well below the frost line, I was also concerned about insulating it from the soil/elements as well, not so much for freeze protection, the pool house will not be insulated or heated, all the fixtures in the pool house (toilet,2-sinks,electric water heater,and one outside shower, will have to be winterized each season. they will only be used in the summer, thats the reason for blowing out the lines, the homeowner does not want anything to freeze up on him, since he is not going to insulate or heat the structure, he want's the walls to be bare to give it a rustic look...
This discussion has been closed.