Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Got a T-50 problem SE

Steve Ebels_3
Steve Ebels_3 Member Posts: 1,291
I am working on a T-50 with a number of issues that I thought were related to recirculation of the exhaust gas due to questionable venting. After changing the inducer and cleaning up every electrical connection in the cabinet the little bugger lights up and purrs like a kitten...........well, maybe not like a kitten. It has a weird whistle in it on high fire, maybe related to what I found also.

After start up I noticed the familiar aroma of LP exhaust and started looking the vent connections over inside the boiler. I noticed condensation accumulating on the inside of the back cabinet wall. Felt around in there and discovered that the insulation was damp after running for only 5 minutes. No water side leaks that I can see and with the aroma mentioned above I'm thinking it has to be leaking exhaust somewhere on the back of the HX. The original installer must not have known what a union is because I'll have to cut the boiler lose from the piping to get the HX out and look at it. Before I do that, I'm wondering if anyone can tell me how the exhaust outlet on the back of that boiler is configured. Is there anything back there that could have come lose or do I have a bad HX that needs to be replaced?

Chuck if you read this, the job location is in one of AT&T's gazillion black holes with poor service. Thanks for trying to return my call.

Comments

• Steve Ebels_3
    Question answered

Chuck and I finally made connection. Thanks for the return call my friend. I appreciate it!!!
  • Leo G_101
    Leo G_101 Member Posts: 87
    and the answer was

????

Leo G
  • Steve Ebels_3
    And the answer is..............

The T-50 has a gasket in the "tailpipe" that attaches to the back of the HX and it is leaking, allowing exhaust gas into the boiler enclosure. (That explains the failed inducer and dissolved swirl plate on the gas valve) Being that I have never had my paws on a T-50 before, I didn't know whether that exhaust assembly was integral with the boiler or if it was a separate piece that could be taken apart and repaired. To repair it the boiler has to come off the wall and be completely disassembled in order to replace the gasket. Of course my luck would have it that there are no unions in the piping and only one shut off valve on the system.

It appears from the amount of corrosion and discoloration in the burner enclosure that this has been happening for a long time.
  • Steve Ebels_3
    A Hearty THANK YOU to HTP

They have stepped up and offered to replace the boiler at no charge for the customer. It really means a lot to me to see a company stand behind their product when there are issues. I'm sure the customer will have a different opinion also.

Thanks again HTP!!
This discussion has been closed.