Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

American Standard hotwater baseboard installation question

Tom Elam
Tom Elam Member Posts: 57
The fins on the copper pipe are rectangle. Some were installed with the longer side vertical and some are horizontal. Installed horizontally the fins fill the area between the back and front panels. Installed vertically there is about a half inch gap between the fins and covers.

How much of a differance does it make in the baseboards output? Would it be worth the time and trouble to turn the pipe 90° to fill the gap?

Comments

• I'd say

output is the same either way since they both expose the same amount of surface area to the air as it's passing by.
  • lee_7
    lee_7 Member Posts: 457

If you look straight down from top, the fins that you can see thru are installed correctly. The others can, possibly, be turned on pipe to correct location. Most fins are loose on pipe and can be twisted. Carefully, with gloves on as fins are like little razors, start at one end and turn fins. There should be no need to cut pipe or drain water.
  • Tom Elam
    Tom Elam Member Posts: 57

OK, Thanks for the replies. I may try to turn the fins 90°.
  • STEVE PAUL_3
    STEVE PAUL_3 Member Posts: 126
    fin orientation

It seems to me (this is a WAG) that if the fins are in the vertical orientaion, they will more efficiently produce the desired convection currents that are the motive force for heat distribution in finned baseboard radiation. I doubt that it will make a huge difference but for the few minutes of your time that it will take to turn them all to vertical, it might save you a couple of bucks.
This discussion has been closed.