Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Adding tees for more main venting

jOhn_225
jOhn_225 Member Posts: 13
Brad/Rod,
Many Thanks. This is awessome diagram and you guys are the best!

Comments

• Kara
    Kara Member Posts: 36
    Adding tees for more main venting

I plan on adding more venting to my 1 pipe steam system. Right now the main vent sits on the elbow of drop return. Due to concealed piping and finishe ceiling, my only feasible option is to add a 4" nipple on this port and run an elbow with a seriew of teees that will allow me to add more main line vents. My question is, instead of running the tees in the direction of the main, can I run it perpendicular to the main line.
    The end result would be the tee connections will point back towards boiler as oppose to being parallel to main line.

Thanks.
  • alang
    alang Member Posts: 35
    That's what I eneded up doing

and it works fine. As long as the cross sectional area doesn't restrict the air flow, I don't think that it minds going around bends.

My vents are also on the elbow at the drop and that's supposed to be a no-no because of potential damage from condensate being accelerated into that elbow (and into the vents themselves by the fast-moving steam. I built up a series of nipples, elbows and tees and got my vents a good foot away from that elbow.
  • Kara
    Kara Member Posts: 36

Thanks Steve. I will start my project now.

• Brad White_203
    Brad White_203 Member Posts: 506
    Frank

The direction the venting "antler" runs will not matter. The air will get out. Steve is right.

What is key is to minimize damage from a traveling slug of water. Make it work to get to the vents!

But the air?

Air does not care. :)

• A tip I learned from Brad. Use a union to attach your "antler". Much easier that way as you can build the "antler" on your work bench and then attach it.
  • Brad White_191
    Brad White_191 Member Posts: 252
    Thanks, Rod

Here is a more updated detail for you.

The bottom diagram, the "Antler Arrangement", is a fall-back position when one cannot readily cut in a proper tee set back from the end of the main.

It is "punting", I admit, but makes best use of the "crash tee" we see way too often.

The union also allows you to pivot the assembly for best fit in between your structure. I cannot vouch for any improvement in TV reception, however. :)
This discussion has been closed.