Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Primary/Secondary Pumping

Pedro_3
Pedro_3 Member Posts: 9
I have an old gravity hot water system that the boiler was probably changed about 25-30 yrs ago. The boiler is installed with the circulator on the return s side. The system has no bypass installed. I would like to install a new boiler and use the old steel compression tank. The old pipes are about 3” or more and there are 2 return and 2 supply lines. What other items would I need if I wanted to install a system with outdoor reset and an indirect water heater? What pumps should I use? I have Dan’s books “Go With the Flow”, but I don’t see a diagram of a system specifically describing what I want or is it there and I’m not seeing it?

Thanks

Comments

• Have a professional heating

contractor come and look at your existing system. They will be able to give you good information as to what should be done and recommend boiler systems to meet your needs.

Modulating/condensing boilers work well with old gravity systems and outdoor reset will give good control. The old steel compression tank will have to go!
  • Pedro_3
    If it's not leaking

and still working why get rid of it? I appreciate your advice, but the truth is Mod/Con unit would be too expensive for me at this moment. I'm just looking for some suggestions on where to go with this system and what are the best options I have that won't break the bank.

Thanks
  • Thjere are also

a lot of mid efficency options you look at that could be matched up with your present system.
  • Pedro_3
    What are your

thoughts on a Smith Boiler, GV100-5?
  • Smith is a good boiler

just make sure your installer is familiar with installation from Gravity system over to a forced system. Ask for recommendations from previous similar jobs they have done.
This discussion has been closed.