Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

1st floor drafty and cold, 2nd floor hot

LanceT
LanceT Member Posts: 19
I've had this problem in multiple houses and was wondering how others have addressed it.

We have steam heat. One thermostat on the first floor.

Often, the 2nd floor gets very warm (thermometer read 80 once while downstairs was barely 68!). This doesn't happen all the time though. It seems to happen most on cold, windy nights. My theory is that the first floor is much draftier (doors, more windows, unfinished/unheated basement underneath, etc.) plus the fact that heat rises. Aside from weatherproofing (will help to some degree), has anyone had to deal with this? What about adding radiant floor heating under the first floor? Could condensate be used in this way?

thanks

Comments

• don_185
    don_185 Member Posts: 312
    vents

You may be able to slow the venting on the rads upstairs and on the downstairs vent them alittle quicker.

Sounds like to me a typical home on the coldest day of the year.

Why not try a humidifider downstairs.Alittle water vapor can make you feel more comfortable on those cold dry days.

• LanceT
    LanceT Member Posts: 19

The problem with slowing the vents upstairs is that on "normal cold" days the upstairs will probably be cold... right?
  • Brad White_203
    Brad White_203 Member Posts: 506
    What you are describing is textbook

older house syndrome. You have it correctly- air leaks in low and leaks out high in most conditions. Add to that lateral wind effect, fine, but the basic mechanics are convection. Cold in low, warmth out high.

This is best addressed by air sealing- usually around the basement rim joists, windows, sash weight pockets (if you have new windows these may be empty and waiting). A blower door test and infra-red scan together can reveal much.

You may well discover secondary paths- I have found "interior leaks"- vertical pathways from basement to attic or attic to living space, not where you would normally think. Just an example.

Expanding foams, caulking, whatever your weatherization contractor or advisers give you specific to your needs, should be employed.

Many older houses have insulated attics and not the walls. The "low hanging fruit" approach dictates this often. It should be done, but then the upstairs has half the heat loss it once did, so tends to overheat.

Don is right- slower venting is a good idea. But it will not "decrease heat output", just slow the time it takes to get them warm. Thermostatic radiator vent valves are an ideal application here. I use Macon OPSK's. Whatever brand you use, make sure it has a vacuum breaker. Once done, your output will be much more temperature-responsive.
This discussion has been closed.