Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

lack of oxygen in the house?

Seems like there's a lack of oxygen in the house. At first I thought it smelled like some kind of smoke, but it is undistinguishable. I have a very good nose and set of lungs. We have an oil boiler and a cellar to rooftop central house chimney. I don't have a CO2 sensor. Any idea what it might be? Sometimes flap that opens and closes on the pipe going to the chimney isn't working the way it should. Should it open and close every time the furnace comes on?

Comments

• Kelly Gilbert
    Kelly Gilbert Member Posts: 86
    Lack of oxygen in the house?

Seems like there's a lack of oxygen in the house. At first I thought it smelled like some kind of smoke, but it is undistinguishable. I have a very good nose and set of lungs. We have an oil boiler and a cellar to rooftop central house chimney. I don't have a CO2 sensor. Any idea what it might be? Sometimes flap that opens and closes on the pipe going to the chimney isn't working the way it should. Should it open and close every time the furnace comes on?
  • Get out of there now!

Call a heating pro and /or the fire department immediately. Your family's lives may be at stake! If you can smell products of combustion(smoke) your chimney may be blocked, smokepipe may be leaking or the house may be under a negative pressure. DO NOT TAKE THE CHANCE! Once the problem is fixed, install carbon monoxide and smoke detectors as required in your home. This could be a life threatening situation, evacuate yourself and pets until this is taken care of.
  • Bill, Kelley posted

also above and Norm Harvey has been out there and has done some testing so it looks like things are moving ahead for Kelley.

The posting above is labeled "I seem to have a lack of oxygen in the house".
This discussion has been closed.