Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pipe Insulation

usually an acrylic preparation these days, will seal in any fibers if you have any concerns.

Comments

• dennis8
    dennis8 Member Posts: 15
    Pipe Insulation

Is fiberglass the best material to use to insulate steam pipes? I have heard that it is not that environmentally friendly. Are there PE foams that can be used?

Thanks in advance for feedback.
  • Brad White_203
    Brad White_203 Member Posts: 506
    Fiberglass vs. Foam

I have no idea what "environmentally friendly" means, sort of like "green"- it means what you like it to. :)

There is only one foam, not sure it is polyethylene but I doubt it, suitable for high temperatures and is made by ArmaCell, the folks who bring you Armaflex.

The gold standard in insulation for steam pipes is fiberglass. It is by my definition environmentally friendly in that it lasts a long time, makes use of waste products from the glass industry and saves energy.

The thickness should not be less than one inch, but model energy codes specify 1.5" thickness on piping up to 1.5" iron pipe size. Then go to 2" thickness for pipe sizes 2" to 4". That should cover you, so to speak.
  • dennis8

Thanks Brad. I will most likely go with fiberglass.

About environmentally friendly: I had some asbestos removed from my house and when I was researching asbestos I found some negative info about fiberglass. Most of the info is related to particles of the fiberglass getting into your lungs. I didn't want to replace one toxic substance with another.

I think that I will just seal it well.
  • for the fittings

For the fittings, I use cold water paste with cheese clothes. Follow the instruction to the letter.
  • dennis8
    Acrylic prep

Thanks

I am not familiar with this. Is this something you brush over the paper coating?

Can you give me a brand that I might try?
This discussion has been closed.