Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Flue Pipe Thickness

There are listed systems for all four gas categories and oil has it's systems too.

Heat Fab here in MA has a good line and some guiding information.

www.heat-fab.com

Comments

• Erich_3
    Erich_3 Member Posts: 135
    Flue Pipe Thicknes Identification

Are there any identification markings on 6" diameter flue pipe. I want to verify that it is a minimum of 24 gauge. I also want to make sure it is not made in China. Can anyone recomend a quality brand?
  • Erich_3
    Erich_3 Member Posts: 135
    Oil Fired Boiler

Application is a small oil fired boiler. Minimum gauge thickness required is 24 gauge. I have noticed that most flue pipe is not marked or labeled with gauge or country of origin.
    I was reading George Lanthier's excellent three part series concerning flue pipe and that is what prompted the question. He has said that for a 6" diameter flue pipe the minimum thickness is 24 gauge. Any less and it does not meet code and that places the installer in liability. One of George's professions is as an expert witness in liability trials. He is not one to understate the liability issue.
  • Bob Harper
    Bob Harper Member Posts: 1,071
    chimney connector pipe

Which code are you under? NFPA 211 calls for 24 ga. from 6-9" then 22 ga. above that.

You can buy an inexpensive metal thickness gauge for unmarked pipe.

If you need a source of pipe that meets or exceeds this std, you will probably have to get it through a chimney contractor's supply house. BTW, Heat Fab makes an excellent 22ga. black stove pipe.

Bob
This discussion has been closed.