Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Leaking Radiator - Help!

Options
Lisa_10
Lisa_10 Member Posts: 1
Our radiator seems to be leaking. It's a second floor bedroom radiator which is original to the house. We noticed some dampness on the carpet one day, the next it was soaked, the next it was leaking into the bathroom below on the first floor. The carpet is not wet directly next to the radiator, it begins maybe 6-8 inches away from the unit, but has made it's way across half the room and only in one line.

We tried bleeding the radiator. When we did water poured out of it, no air. But the leaking into the bathroom had stopped for a few days. Now it's leaking again. Tried to bleed it again, more water came out and it's still leaking, didn't stop this time.

Any ideas on what could be wrong and how to fix it? Any ideas on what to do in the meantime? Is there a way to shut off the radiator maybe but would that stop the water from going to the unit and leaking? Where could the leak be, pipe?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, along with cheapest remedies! Thank you!

Comments

• kpc_46
    kpc_46 Member Posts: 4
    Options
    I presume....

it is hot water....
    Try feeling around the underneath for the leak.Get on you knees and look w/ a flashlight... It might be a simple as the union(s) needs to be tightened up. Rare that it is cracked.
  • mark ransley
    mark ransley Member Posts: 155
    Options

Is boiler manual or auto feed for water, you better check. I fixed my car radiator with 2 part epoxy about 3 years ago, that gets to 15 lb. 190f. Find the leak, dry radiator and sprinkle some powder on it like flour when it hot to pinpoint the leak, that is just my guess to find a leak. But maybe the leak cant be fixed.
This discussion has been closed.