Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Dave Behrens Utica Install

You're right about the T&P on the DWH. I have installed an indirectly fired DWH in its place (TT Smart 50), and extended the line with a 45 degree cut to 2" above the floor. The client already wrote where he wanted to reinstall the used HW heater after it left his house!

All the unions in the returns were in a previous manifold for 5 zone valves which were removed and replaced by circ pumps on the supply side. Done to save time and money on pro press fittings. The owner complained he had to replace too many heads on the zone valves. Those pumps should last a long time.

The yellow gas flex is legal residentially (not commercial or industrial) where the install was done. I like to use them (short!!) to relieve any stress on the gas valve, which in this case was a thin aluminum casting.

Although its not visible here, I regret not having installed a larger hydronic separator in this job. Next time, a larger one with pro press, or a Caleffi.

Thanks for your comments.

Comments

• Ron Gillen
    Ron Gillen Member Posts: 124
    Comments on Install

Your post was in the middle of the "Best Modcon" thread so I thought I would start a new one. You asked for comments on your install and I have a few. Nice install and if you are a homeowner, great install. Maybe you are not finished but the T&P valve on the dhw heater needs to be piped to the floor. I don't understand all the unions and press fittings between the tee's and the MIP's, not something you'll ever need to remove. Nor the MIP's between the ball valves and the drain tee's, why not use copper-copper valves? Could've saved alot of fittings. All that is here nor there, my only important comment is on the gasline. I don't know where you are located or your codes but if that is a cast iron tee and a street elbow, both are not approved for gas where I live (Canada) and I doubt they are there. We also need a dirt pocket upstream of each appliance. Sorry about this but that piece of flex to the boiler ( and I see a lot of it on this site) is really "bush" and it only takes a few minutes to do it right. No offence intended, again very nice install.
This discussion has been closed.