Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

baseboard heat noise

Derheatmeister
Derheatmeister Member Posts: 1,573
It's because the piping is expanding.

Someone can maybe make a Continuous Circ Based on ODR with TRV'S..

Comments

• Chris_111
    Chris_111 Member Posts: 1
    Stop the \"pinging\"

Our house is approx 40 yrs old. We have forced hot water baseboard heat. When the heat kicks on the heaters start to make a "pinging" noise, which drives us nuts. Is there a way to fix? Who should I call (plumber, HVAC?) Thanks
  • Brad White_191
    Brad White_191 Member Posts: 252
    A few thoughts...

The basic issue is thermal expansion as you can imagine. The better systems have plastic or nylon guides/sleeves which isolate metal to metal contact.

The ideal solution (in addition to sleeves or possibly on it's own), is to use outdoor reset and constant circulation.

Right now, you have a circulator or zone valve which energizes and takes your radiation from near room temperature to say, 160 to 180 degrees in a matter of minutes.

You feel like you are on a U-boat at crush depth... life is almost not worth living. :)

With outdoor reset, (some re-piping required but is worth it), the circulation is constant and a mixing valve very gradually varies the temperature of the water, indexed to the outside air temperature.

I would suggest a 4-way mixing valve such as the Taco iValve as a simple system. There are other ways, but you want relief quickly and the Taco system will get you just about all you would need when properly applied.

You can minimize if not eliminate the noise issues AND save energy.

Such a deal.

Whom to call? The term "plumber" is a licensing term in most states and does not necessarily confer heating expertise. Many times, the best heating folks ARE plumbers, so it is not an exclusion nor an endorsement of skill.

Find a heating contractor or plumber who speaks the language of true energy savings, understands outdoor reset. I suggest trying the "Find a Professional" under the "Resources" tab above. Enter your zip code and see what pops up.
This discussion has been closed.