Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam heating radiators

gpf
gpf Member Posts: 1
I just moved into a 70 year home with a single pipe steam heating system and don't know much about how they operate. My imediate problem is that I have one cast iron radiator that only gets warm for the first four of seven sections. If someone can tell me what the problem is and how to fix it, I would apprciate it.
Also, the steam boiler is over 30 years old and I'm expecting it should be replaced soon. I am contempating installing a hot water baseboard system and boiler instead of steam. What are the pros and cons, other than cost?

Comments

• Brad White_203
    Brad White_203 Member Posts: 506
    Where to start?

If you have a partially heating steam radiator, I would suspect the vent on that radiator. Even a partially blocked vent will allow some steam into it (to the extent that the steam can compress the air into the corner).

If you were, with an oven mitt and common sense, to unscrew that vent, see if it heats when the others are also under steam. You may hear or feel a push of air. You may also feel a "panting", a push-pull of air, which indicates, usually, uninsulated piping or a sag in the pipe with collected water.

Many more things to look at, but I would start there.

Vents are short money. Good vents (Gorton, Heat Timer Vari-Vents) are worth the extra money over box store brands, but what the box stores carry will work in a pinch. Ideally you want all of your vents sized to allow all of your radiators to come to temperature at about the same time. It is not a race, but rather all want to win.

Going forward (starting today perhaps!), I would invest in Dan's books, "We Got Steam Heat!" as one, or better yet, "A Steamy Deal" (which includes "We Got Steam Heat") and can be had by clicking the link below. I have no stake in the matter but the books have changed lives and can make you very popular with friends and neighbors who also have steam heat.
  • Mark Custis
    Mark Custis Member Posts: 537
    I would fix what you have

See Brad's post.

If I were going to dump the steam, I would go to radiant floors or panels.

• As Brad mentioned, You need to get Dan's books. (See "A Steamy Deal" at the bottom of this page) Read "We Got Steam Heat" first and then "The Lost Art of Steam Heating".

Dan's books are easy reading, written for the homeowner, crammed full of facts and diagrams that explain just how a steam heating system works. After a few evenings of reading you know all about steam heat and how your system works and be able to do the adjustments necessary to get you system running properly.
    I keep emphasizing Dan's books as they have saved me a lot of money. I also had a non working steam system and was told I needed to "modernize" as "steam is obsolete". Fortunately with the knowledge I gained I was able to fix my steam system and now it gives comfortable heat and is economical.
  • tanya_2
    tanya_2 Member Posts: 17
    steam rads - additional problem

I agree get Dan's book. I bought all three but I found We Got Steam Heat very helpful. I had a similar problem and once I changed the air vents, the rad heated all the way across and no more banging pipes or whistling.
    My only wish is that there were more actual pictures in the Lost Art of Steam Heating then tech specs. I'm very visual and a novice diyer.
    If I may tag onto your topic. I still have a problem that I haven't figured out. Maybe you or someone else can help.
    According to the book I shouldn't have air vents since I have a two pipe system. Only 2 of the 9 rads have them and I do not see any in the basement on the main lines. I'm getting condensate and steam out of the supply line(?) on the rads w/the vents. How do I stop this?
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,578
    vapor system?

by the appearance of the valve on your radiator, i would guess that you have a "vapor system". these were designed to operate on as little as 2 ounces of pressure, and did a great job! do you have any traps?

someone here more knowlegable on vapor systems may give his opinion. look for some way the air was removed from the pipes and make sure it functions well. probably the vents on the radiators should be removed and the holes plugged. dan's book has some information on vapor systems.

check your system pressure, and set it as low as possible-you may need a vaporstat. at some time someone may have raised the pressure beyond the original specs, causing a venting problem, which he attempted to solve by adding the extra vents. my advice is to get the system as close to the original installation as possible. why not start a new thread, for further questions.--nbc
This discussion has been closed.