Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

merchant account?

Empire_2
Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,340
If it's a trusted customer, I will process it later in the day when I'm at the office with the swipe or punch in key's. The rates are ridiculous no matter how you look at it. I'm, seriously considering dropping the cards due to the outrageous fees associated with the Transaction. I only process Visa & Master card.

You are probably tied into a contract with what ever provider you went with in the first place. To answer you last Q:?,....Yea you can and should shop around. I own my card swiper out right which eliminates the user fee on top of all the other stuff that goes along with it. In about 3 months, I should have my machine for sale as I said before, I am looking to drop this form of payment. "I have'nt made up my mind YET.........

Mike T.

Comments

• Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040

When you accept CC payments, do you call it in like I do or have a terminal? Dec was one of my bigger CC months, but I was not expecting to lose over $500 for CC processing. I am with the company my CU recommended, but is this something that one should shop around for?

Tim
    Just a guy running some pipes.
  • My machine is for sale right now!!

I was set up for CC for 2 years and only had 2 requests to use CC, despite it being offered and advestised. That was an expensive investment gone wrong! Definitely show around and watch out for some of the crooked large companies that change terms just before the holiday season begins.

Boilerpro

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,800
    The one way I have heard that is best way to handle this is to

add 3% to your billable rate and offer 3% cash discount on the barrel head. This way customers realize they can save 3% and you get your cash right now. I do not offer CC payment currently and we never have in 70 yrs. We get a couple requests a month so it has not quite brought us to deal with it but who knows, we might enter the modern ages some day. Tim
  • Darrell_6
    Darrell_6 Member Posts: 9

Often it is the difference between getting paid now or having to bill the customer and wait for a check. Most of my customers are not home when I hit their place...a quick phone call to them at work and I get paid by card. The fees are much less if you use a major bank and I have the money available in the morning. Set your rate to include the fees as if they all paid by card. I'd much rather pay the bank the fee than wait for the mail. I often get the card number up front...I've never had anybody cancel a card payment...I've had many bad checks issued to me...try collecting on those.
  • J Heritage
    J Heritage Member Posts: 27

I could not imagine not offering credit cards. We put through 5 to 10 a day busy season and sometimes even more. Many people live only on credit and or debit cards. Defiantly build it into your service rates. The days of cash are almost gone we are a world of plastic debt now.
  • Mike Dunn
    Mike Dunn Member Posts: 189
    Hi Tim

I use this company for the few cards I get a month.

http://www.csiprocessing.com/

I am charged a service fee of about $9 per month. There is not monthly minimum transactions. If I don't do any transactions I am not charged anything else, otherwise I pay a percentage for each transaction I do process, about 3%.

Mike Dunn
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,284
    People like the miles, I guess.

Most people want to pay me with a credit card.
    In fact, I'm pretty sure I get to do a lot of the emergency boiler replacements in my area because clients can sign for it now, have heat tomorrow, and deal with paying for it later.

Add your credit card processing fees to your overall cost of doing business already.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • Mike Thomas_2
    Mike Thomas_2 Member Posts: 109
    I use our local bank

Maybe I'm just small town but, I use a local bank. They charge $3.00 per month and 3% on each transaction. They charged me $25.00 for the old machine that you lay the card on and then the 3 carbon invoice. I write out the amount and the customer signs it. I can then call it in on my phone, enter the account numbers and amount using any phone. Easy, simple, and cheap.... Doesn't look as fancy as the "swipe" machines, but does the same thing..
  • Darrell_6
    Darrell_6 Member Posts: 9

Per my banks instructions I hand write their card number on my invoice along with all the pertinent mailing data and have them sign across the bottom. If I am getting paid over the phone I am s'posed to get the cvv code as a signature. When I get home I hand the wife the invoices for the day and she punches in the info on the keypad provided by the bank...and I have the money overnight. It is quick, clean, professional and done. I hate waiting for money in the mail...
This discussion has been closed.