Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

The Catch 22 slap-in-the-face

instead of cutting the fat out of the budget, they jack up taxes. Throw the bums out.

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=367&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• John R. Hall
    John R. Hall Member Posts: 2,245
    Using less gas may cost us $$$

I just read that since motorists in Michigan are driving less, in order to conserve fuel, it may wind up costing taxpayers in the end (rear end). Since less gas is being purchased, less gas taxes are collected in order to maintain and improve roads and bridges. Since Michigan needs lots of road improvements, the state government is considering raising gas taxes to cover the lost revenues.

So by driving less we may be penalized with higher taxes. Can you say 'BOHICA'?
  • jim s_2
    jim s_2 Member Posts: 114
    If only it were that simple

too many vote on name recognition and empty promises.
  • bb_10
    bb_10 Member Posts: 29
    The Feds

are considering raising gas taxes for the same reason.

The increase about 10 cents per gallon for gas and 12-15 cents per gallon for diesel.

Gas Tax today: 18.4 cents per gallon for gas and 24.4 cents per gallon for diesel.

They may also recommend more toll roads and rush hour fees to raise revenues.

http://www.comcast.net/articles/finance/20090101/Gas.Tax/
  • Steamhead (in transit)
    Steamhead (in transit) Member Posts: 6,688
    When they cut their own pay

then they might be halfway decent. But we haven't heard any of them offering to take pay cuts, have we?

Throw the bums out!

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • radiconnection
    radiconnection Member Posts: 29

And when the prices go up, they will have more tax money to use for everything but improving the infrastructure. I thought they were going to bring back the WPA to fix things and cut our taxes???

• LOL..We had the same thing here locally a couple of years ago. Big campaign on water conservation so everyone chipped in and saved water. Local water board then raised rates as they weren't getting enough revenue. When the next drought hits you can easily recognize me, I'm the one with the greenest lawn and the cleanest car!
  • Brad White_203
    Brad White_203 Member Posts: 506
    (F)Utility Companies

As others have pointed out in other postings, many utility companies encourage conservation and add a charge in to your bills to pay for the rebates. Thus everyone is "entitled".

Now, with reduced consumption/demand, there is more gas, electricity, water, whatever, to go around, at the same rates.

Then utilities are allowed to make a guaranteed profit, "regulated" as they are.

So, all of your conservation efforts cause a drop in revenue (as Rod stated), thus guaranteeing a rate increase, so you spend more money to conserve more.

If this keeps up, my energy bill will double while I am totally off the grid :)
  • Robert O'Connor_12
    Robert O'Connor_12 Member Posts: 728
    Pay cut?=RAISE!

Congress alresdy voted!

http://www.usatoday.com/news/washington/2008-01-09-Raise-me_N.htm

Robert O'Connor/NJ
  • Mark Custis
    Mark Custis Member Posts: 537
    Brad

The math is right.

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    Not sure how true it is....

But I heard that the incoming President intends to REQUIRE homes/offices to reduce their energy consumption by "XX" percent, or pay an energy surcharge.

What about people like me who have already done pretty much everything they CAN do given their circumstances? Am I going to get penalized due to my previous conservation situation? I HOPE they have the common sense to go based on a formula of btu/sq. ft./degree day or some such.

Why don't they just let the free market take care of it, by allowing the cost of energy to rise. People will conserve energy automatically. Just like they did when the price of oil went thru the roof.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Mark Custis
    Mark Custis Member Posts: 537
    ME

I think what you typed is possible.

The new guy, seems to me to be a lot like us... Thinking before he acts.

I just foamed a window that was leaking. I'll put the trim back Sunday.
  • RonWHC
    RonWHC Member Posts: 232
    Brad. You scratched

a nerve. Utilities have caught the government disease from, in essence, being an extention of government.

They enhance their profits by pushing mandatory charges that benefit the poor, or whomever is in vogue this week. Public Service Commissions eat it up. The members are all politicians, & their nature is to buy as many votes as possible, w/ someone else's money. They fall over each other approving rate increases.

Meanwhile that new gas meter we hooked the 1,050 mbh water heater, & 2 - 1,200 mbh boilers to, has never been read. Going on 6 months. Customer's comment. "Talking to the Gas Co. is like talking to a wall. Same results, too."

Government, & Government Regulated Entities, can never deliver all they promise. They keep spending like they can though. Always w/ someone else's money.

• Brad White_203
    Brad White_203 Member Posts: 506
    O.P.M...

Exactly, Rod. Other People's Money. I do not have the gall to expect my neighbors to support me. Others have no compunction "asking" me (under no small set of threats) to do so.

I liken dealing with politicians as, "being bribed with your own money."
This discussion has been closed.