Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pipe Insulation

I see a lot of new boiler installations where the pipe insulation stops quite short of the boiler itself. Old 'total asbestos encapsulated' boilers on the other hand seem to be totally encased. Is there a rule about how close one should install the new rigid fiberglass pipe insulation to the boiler, and why?

Someone removed all my old asbestos insulation from the basement supply/return piping about 15 years ago, so I too need to replace it.

Thanks. Al

There was an error rendering this rich post.

Comments

• Lori_5
    Lori_5 Member Posts: 4
    Pipe Insulation

Where's a good source to get the proper insulation for my steam pipes? They apparently used to have asbestos-type insulation on them, and most all of it is gone. What type of insulation should I be looking for?

Thanks, and Happy Holidays!
  • Mark Custis
    Mark Custis Member Posts: 537
    I like insulation on everything

Your best bet, for a good job is to get the real stuff from either a local supply house or online. the stuff is semi-solid fiber-glass and come pre split in desired sizes complete with sealing tape to match the outer vapor barier cover.

The also make very freindly elbow and fitting covers.

I hope this helps. If the supply house gives you a tough time tell them you work for Stephanie and me.
  • Lori_5
    But where, dear liza?

Any online addresses or specific supply houses? I have nothing in my area...
  • Mark Custis
    Where are you?

• Mark Custis
    Where are you?

Where do you live? Has to be someplace it gets cold.

Should have heating supply places. If not I will have the stuff shipped from Cleveland or find you a local distributer.
  • Lori_5
    Where I am

Lower Michigan. I don't know of anyplace around here, and most people scratch their head when I say anything about steam heat...
  • Mark Custis
    I am west of Cleveland

Try Boiler Control in Toledo. I can have it direct shipper to you from my supplier in Cleveland.

You can start small with the mains and order as you go. Email me and I will help it happen.

As a company, my wife and I always help folks do stuff they can do for themselves and their systems.

I do get to yooperland to do steam and geothermal.
  • Lori_5
    Thanks!

I am guessing this stuff must sell by the foot, so I better start measuring. I might only be able to do some at a time...

Thanks for the info - I couldn't seem to find it anywhere!
  • Mark Custis
    I was a Troll myself once

Lori:

Usually in if I remember right, 3 foot sticks. If you can not see pipe sizes on the fittings to determine outside diamitter, wrap the pipe with a peice of string, (I have used a shoe lace in a pinch) then do the pie are square thing, or ask a fifth grader to do it for you.

You can get my email by hitting print/archive when you read this post.
  • David Nadle
    David Nadle Member Posts: 624

I had a good experience with buyinsulationproducts.com

But be warned that insulation is bulky and UPS shipping is expensive. Check locally first.

• Lori- Just to give idea of the type of insulation you want look for, take a look on McMaster Carr website

http://www.mcmaster.com/

Look on page 3419 as this is the type of insulation you need.

Be sure to look at the sizing chart on the page to get the right ID (interior diameter) of the insulation you need.

Pricing -While Mc Master Carr pricing isn't bad, buying from your local wholesaler should get you a better price so use the McMaster`prices for comparison.

State supply is another site which maybe of help to you.

http://www.statesupply.com/index.jsp

In the "Search" box, type in "insulation" which should take you to a page on pipe insulation. Look down the page as it has insulation for fittings (pipe elbows, tees, etc.) too.

Buying on the internet can be deceptive as the seller maybe offering a good price but then shipping can kill you so if you're thinking about buying from the internet, be sure to find out what the shipping costs are before buying.

Good insulation isn't cheap but saves big time in the long run on fuel. What I'd recommend is: measure your pipe and decide exactly what you need. I'd start with the piping near the boiler first. Just do the steam side pipes and then work your way towards the radiators. It's easy to install yourself and you can either do it all at once or a little at a time as you can afford the time and money. You may have to meet the heating wholesaler volume/billing minimums. Check around as this policy varies.

• Jian
    Jian Member Posts: 12

I got mine from www.expressinsulation.com. Shipping wasn't too bad.
  • alang
    alang Member Posts: 35

Lori,

I just re-insulated my steam pipes with the 1" thick insulation from this vendor - http://expressinsulation.com/. They sell Knauf Insulation, which is a much nicer product than what you'll find at the home centers.

As others have stated, the shipping costs are high, so you want to measure carefully and place one order. Also, get yourself a roll of ASJ tape (http://expressinsulation.com/pro508538.html), because the tape strips that they send with the insulation won't be enough to seal up all the joints.

When you measure your pipes, you won't come up with whole numbers - for example, 2" pipe is 2-3/8" outside diameter. When you order insulation, what is called 2" insulation will actually be 2-3/8" inner diameter, and will fit perfectly on the 2" pipe.
  • JAMES MEDINA
    JAMES MEDINA Member Posts: 16
    pipe insulation

Check th internet site general insulation corp. or GIC, they have warehouses full of insul, joint wraps, plastic pipe wrap for exposed pipe in living areas.
  • David Nadle
    David Nadle Member Posts: 624

I went right up to the jacket. Left only certain tees like the skim tee exposed.
  • Jerri
    Jerri Member Posts: 2
    Site for Pipe Insulation

I ordered fiberglass insulation from www.buyinsulationproducts.com I checked a lot of sites and they have everything you can imagine. I didnt know what size insulation to order and they have a chart that shows exactly how to order it. I thought it was very user friendly especially for someone who doesnt know anything about insulation.
This discussion has been closed.