Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Instantaneous LP HWH for radiant

klaus
klaus Member Posts: 183
These water heaters are designed for a large delta T. (cold water in, hot water out). Turning them into a boiler is asking them to operate w/ a small delta T, w/ lower efficencies, since the the heat exchanger cannot suck out of the flue gas what it used to.
So count on short cycling, and inefficient cycles.
Not worth it. Have tore out 4-5 of these and installed boilers. Customers could not wait to get rid of it, and love the fuel savings they now have. And most of these were a few years ago, before fuel prices went up.

Comments

• John Abbott
    John Abbott Member Posts: 358
    Instantaneous

I have a customer who wants me to install radiant with a instantaneous LP HWH as the source this wold not be used for any domestic HW and the load is only 20K. Anyone with experience with a similar system? Any input would be appreciated

John
  • Derheatmeister
    Derheatmeister Member Posts: 1,573
    Not a good Ideal

I will not recommend doing this

I just removed a system like this ; It had only Problems!!

Check out the TT Prestige it has 60 K..
  • TimS
    TimS Member Posts: 82
    what is the Emitter?

I dont like them I have to service alot of them they usually have bigger boiler pump to overcome high head. inlet screen is so small can be a nuiscance keep plugging it up. with glycol you get noisy boiling noise . most all tankless i have seen are noisy too. often see installation issues . tankless heaters are at least 100k btu with modulation . there is more pet peeves that bug me about these type of installs . the common factor i see with these jobs is "cheap" one way or another and then they pay for me service these systems!
  • TimS
    TimS Member Posts: 82

There are some jobs that I hear about they want me to come fix it then they cancel because they are too fed up and end up replacing it for something else .
  • John Abbott
    John Abbott Member Posts: 358
    emitters

The emmiters are concrete slab and plates under hardwood flooring on two floors respectively.
    Thanks,
    John
This discussion has been closed.