Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

modular steam boiler replacement

why not pose this question to the mfg's tech support? the installer may have been piping previous boilers for a non-steam heating application; where the steam can be more wet.

since they have to guarentee the boiler for a couple of years, they have definite ideas on the subject of correct installation.--nbc

Comments

• Ted B
    Ted B Member Posts: 1
    modular steam boilers

a client of ours replaced several cast iron sectional steam boilers with Slant Fin Caravan modular boilers. The contractor connected the steam supply pipe anywhere on the top of the header that he could make it fit.typically it was between the risers on two of the boilers. i was called on to inspect these installations for the owner and rejected them because good practice and the manufacturers instructions require the steam supply pipe to take off between the last boiler and the equalizer line so the steam and condensate flow in the same direction in the header and drier steam is produced. the contractor claims he does it this way all the time ,on low pressure steam,and there is never a problem. i can see his point if the pipes are large enough and steam velocities are low but did not want to violate manufacturers instructions. will either way work? and/or who is right?

• I agree with NBC, ask the manufacturer. Either way they decide gets you off the hook.
  • frankiewrench
    frankiewrench Member Posts: 15
    THERE'S THE RIGHT WAY, THE WRONG WAY & .................WAY

I hate to admit it, but more than once, and most likely more than 50 times, when I wuz a younger man I connected steam mains to boiler headers the wrong way. Just never read the mfg's spec sheet, and I couldn't tell you why other than I probably "KNEW-IT-ALL". Had the steam going up into a Tee, splitting both ways horizontal one way to the equalizer and another to the take-off with condensate rollin' the opposite way. I remember one particular job where there wuz 4 mains connected in-between the two steam boiler risers. Hooked 'em up with a couple of elbows in there also.....sorta like a horse shoe. And guess what???Not once, not ever was there a call back about noise, hammering, wet steam, spitting air valve or anything. Now I don't mean to be bashing the mfg's books. I now believe these books are meant to be followed. BUT....the other way probably works well also.
This discussion has been closed.