Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gorton mains

Seriously- it is. The external thread is 3/4" MPT (male pipe thread).

The inside is tapped for 1/2" FPT (female pipe thread).

Thus, one can screw the vent into a 3/4" coupling or tapping or onto a 1/2" MPT pipe nipple so does double-duty.

Such terminology saves a lot of time explaining birds and bees questions to the children... That is the third benefit :)

The Gorton #2 by contrast, only comes in a 1/2" MPT connection.

Comments

• Steve_168
    Steve_168 Member Posts: 39
    Gorton mains

hi everyone. Im looking at Pex supply and the description for the #1 vent is as follows:

Gorton No. 1, 3/4" x 1/2" Air Eliminator (Main Vent Valve)

so is the opening connector 3/4" or is it 1/2"?

thanks

• Dan Haraburda_2
    Dan Haraburda_2 Member Posts: 13

Thanks.

• A Gorton #2 has 3 times the venting capacity of a Gorton #1
  • Dave Stroman
    Dave Stroman Member Posts: 766

The nunber 2's have 1/2" male thread only.

Dave Stroman

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Dan Haraburda_2
    Dan Haraburda_2 Member Posts: 13

looking to add more gorton 1 on the end of main. the current one seems to work, but how do i know its really working. it gives a bit of hiss now and them and at the end of the cycle it spits out a droplet of water.

is this one malfunctioning? i mean it defeats the purpose to add 2 more only to have 1 out of three not functioning..

Please advise.

Thanks

• Jim_64
    Jim_64 Member Posts: 253
    Gorton Eliminator spits out brownish water

I have the same problem....it spits out brownish water from the eliminator......can anyone help?!
  • BAB
    BAB Member Posts: 118
    Spitting Air Vents

Main Air Vents are supposed to have 6" - 10" of straight vertical pipe under the actual vent. I have mounted Gorton #1 &/or #2 and have experienced spitting or dripping. Redoing the pipe stem or tree to include the 6" minimum has usually solved the spitting problem. Other incorrect tree assembly has included undersized pipe nips, not having the horizontal piping actually horizontal (sometimes you have to picth the right way), and incorrect vent location on pipe run. The back of the Groton brochure is also misleading, showing a tree with four #2's mounted on a 1 inch horizontal and the whole mess feed with a 1/2" short nip. I think the trees should be built up the same as conventional plumbing/piping routines to provide even air flow, provide moisture drainage & thus prevent spitting (concentric reducers if needed).
This discussion has been closed.