Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

changeover to cold start boiler

Options
John Abbott
John Abbott Member Posts: 356
If you can post a color picture or diagram with wire colors indicated of the control with the cover removed I can probably tell you which two wires to connect to bypass the low limit.
John

Comments

• Marty_3
    Marty_3 Member Posts: 14
    Options
    cold start boiler

I have a Burnham oil fired boiler with a tankless coil. It is controlled by a Honeywell 8182 aquastat. Recently, I installed an electric water heater to use in conjunction with a solar panel for domestic hot water production. Now I would like to use the boiler to supplement the domestic hot water thru the water heater.
    Instead of maintaining constant temperature thru the boiler as it is set up for the tankless, I would like to convert the boiler to a 'cold start' boiler. I have been told that the Honeywell 8182 can be converted from a triple aquastat through some simple wiring changes within the control itself. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks.
  • Leo_19
    Leo_19 Member Posts: 4
    Options
    Come summer time

Come summer time when the boiler isn't running for heat you will be running cold water through the coil causing moisture to build up in the boiler's heat exchanger. You should have valves added to shut the water through the coil off in the summer months. You should also have the boiler cleaned in May to prevent moisture from loosening products of combustion which will plug the heat exchanger and form a mud like substance. When I get sent to clean something like this in August it is usually a mess that takes much more time to do a proper job. Fortunately for you a Burnham isn't as bad as some brands but I still wouldn't want to work on it.

Leo
  • Leo_19
    Leo_19 Member Posts: 4
    Options

• Marty_3
    Marty_3 Member Posts: 14
    Options

Thanks for the comments. Leo- yes, I have installed isolation valves so that no water is passing through the coil when the boiler is shut down after the winter months- I have a winter vs. summer piping arrangement. John- I will post a picture of the aquastat asap. Thanks.
  • Mitch_6
    Mitch_6 Member Posts: 549
    Options
    I have often found a boiler

that has been hot for years goes cold and things like gaskets start to leak.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • burnerman_2
    burnerman_2 Member Posts: 297
    Options
    red and white

take the red from the high limit bug it to the whit diff. instant cold start.
This discussion has been closed.