Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

sizing main vents, 2-pipe steam

I just measure their length and diameter the same as on a 1-pipe job. One or two Gorton #2 vents should do fine on the dry return.

<A HREF="http://www.heatinghelp.com/getListed.cfm?id=367&Step=30">To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"</A>

Comments

• Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040

I just browsed through lost art and did not see a chart for sizing main vents on 2-pipe. I looked at a job today w/ steam shooting out the vents making a nice, white spot on the boiler room ceiling. I want to properly call out vents for this system rather than guess which vent is actually right. (both are different) 2" main, 1.5" dry returns, maybe 16 rads in the bldg. Two dry returns, 1920 boiler w/ all trane heating parts. All traps in bldg are original and will be replaced.

Tim
    Just a guy running some pipes.
  • Timco

Thanks, do you have a ref chart for Gorton? I have access to Hoffman, B&G, and Taco. Not sure who sells Gorton around here. Only 2 suppliers sell steam parts.

Tim
  • Venting rates for Gorton vents

are in Gerry Gill & Steve Pajek's venting e-book. Dan used to have the cubic capacity of pipes and radiators in his "Dead Men's Steam School" workbook, but that might be out of print.

Note to Gerry and Steve: You might want to include the cubic capacity charts in the next edition of the e-book, if you haven't already.......

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Timco

I actually bought that e-book a couple years back. Do you know what it was called or if it was something that you download? I have no idea where on this computer it may be!

Tim
  • Use the search function

to find "Venting steam systems using a capacity chart". That's the file name on my copy.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Timco

Searched for all the key words & phrases. I think I even printed it, but if I can't find it I'll just order a new one.

Tim
  • Timco

Found my printed version burried in my basement. Sooo...

If a Hoffman #75 does just less than half of a Gorton #2, and a 1/2" steel pipe is twice a Gorton #2, I can use a tee and street 90's and make a "double" vent for each dry return if I can't find Gorton to get the same venting capacity? No other vents listed come close to the #2..

Tim
  • Try

State Supply or PEX supply online. Both carry Gortons.

www.statesupply.com

www.pexsupply.com

• Timco

I have steam shooting out of a bad vent and need to do something Monday. I will look into the suppliers you mentioned. No burried returns or leaks in the boiler but all bad traps and this bad vent mean adding a lot of water...

Tim
  • OleTwoPiper
    OleTwoPiper Member Posts: 17
    Venting Mains and Returns (2-pipe steam)

Have a 6-story, 30,000 sf loft building with 2-pipe steam system.  Only a front and rear steam riser each feeding a front and rear return. 

Uneven balancing between front and rear. 

Planning to add 6 Gorton #2's at end of rear main (after last radiator) on 6th floor.  Planning to add 4 Gorton #2's at end of front main (after last radiator) on 6th floor. 

Also, there are no traps, vents, or condensate pumps on either return line.  Should we also vent the return line?  If yes, where and with how many vents?

I'm concerned that the 6th floor will get lots of heat, but 2/3/4/5th floors wont have steam coming across the horizontal mains quickly. 

Is the above plan a good one? 
  • World Plumber
    World Plumber Member Posts: 389
    Shop

Venting capacity charts. Click on Shop above then click on books. It's $10.00.

MC
This discussion has been closed.