Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pipe connection

Options
Guest_5
Guest_5 Member Posts: 35
Hello all,

I have a radiator that has a 2" intake but my supply pipes are 1". Is there a way to connect them together? A union fitting perhaps? I can't seem to find one at Home Depot or even Pexsupply.com.

Please help.

Thank you all in advance.

Comments

• Brad White_191
    Brad White_191 Member Posts: 252
    Options
    Bushing

Most CI radiators have 2" or, more frequently, 1-1/2" tappings, so bushings (short, same-plane reducers) are the way to go.

The reason the tappings are so large is because of gravity flow applications. With pumped applications, even 1/2" is enough to handle all but the largest radiators. If not then 3/4" is plenty.
  • Guest_5
    Options

Thank you. Now that you mentioned it I went and looked at bushings and they seems to be the right connectors for the job.

Just one more question? Black or Galvanized?
  • Brad White_191
    Brad White_191 Member Posts: 252
    Options
    Black iron

Galvanized offers exterior protection but the zinc itself on the interior can cause problems should it flake off. Not a huge deal, I have used galvanized in a pinch when an iron bushing was not at hand.

A word of caution- it is very easy to crack a radiator if you turn the bushing too tightly. Even if the bushing itself is properly seated, use a backing-wrench so that the next fitting going in does not add to the tighthness. The radiator elbow or nipple you use can turn it to the point that you hear a "tink!".

This is a noted cause of depression and therapy is usually indicated. As your doctor if Valium is right for you...
  • Dave Behrens
    Dave Behrens Member Posts: 12
    Options
    No Clue

Ling,
    You obviously have no idea about the physical forces with which you are dealing. Hire a well recommedned professional before you hurt yourself, your family, or your neighbors.
  • mark ransley
    mark ransley Member Posts: 155
    Options

What dave you outa work, this is a Help Group

• Since it would appear that you are new to pipe fittings. I just thought I would follow up on Brad's good advice.

Why he is cautioning you against over tightening, is because pipe thread is (like a wedge) tapered . Thinking of the tread on the bushing as a wedge, overtightening (the bushing) could split (your radiator) the fitting so that's why one needs to be careful.

The reason pipe thread is tapered is that it compresses against the fitting into which it is being installed and this forms a seal against leaking. (You still need to use a sealant on the threads to help stop leaking) Pipe thread differs from ordinary thread (like a bolt) as ordinary thread just holds parts together and has no sealing value.

Brad also mentioned a "backing wrench". This means you need to put a wrench on the bushing just to hold it in place so the bushing doesn't turn (and get tightened more) when you are attaching the pipe to the bushing.

A lot of Home Depot's pipe fittings are junk so you may want to look for a better source. I get a lot of my fittings from Mc Master Carr.

http://www.mcmaster.com/

Their catalogue also has a lot of good general information
    on the products they sell (like pipe fittings)
  • Dave Behrens
    Dave Behrens Member Posts: 12
    Options
    Yes, professional help

Ling obviously doesn't understand the forces he is dealing with.

No one here learned on his own, me included; someone had to 'hold your hand' and that occurred with direct supervision. Someone who could correct, immediately, a mistake that could kill you or others. With the exception of Ling, all of the posters here are trained tradesman, well versed in the dangers of their chosen profession. We 'help' each other in the finer points of our trade.

Ling has no supervision, no clue, dealing with a pressurized hydronic, steam, or worse, natural gas or propane system, and an evidently extremely limited knowledge of physics. I'm not going to 'help' him commit arson, suicide or manslaughter.
  • Guest_5
    Options
    Thank you all

Thank you all for the help. I'll look somewhere else to get the supplies.

I understand the danger of pressurized steam, but I connected a radiator before, only both the pipes and radiator are 1" unlike this time.
  • lee_7
    lee_7 Member Posts: 458
    Options

Mamma always said "speak nice or don't speak"
This discussion has been closed.