Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Help needed moving a large and heavy iron radiator up 10 steps

tim smith
tim smith Member Posts: 2,800
Go slow and 1 step at a time, not a big issue. Might want 4 people on that one, 2 up 2 down. Good luck. Strap it tight.

Comments

• jay in NY
    jay in NY Member Posts: 18
    Advise needed for moving very large rad up 10 outdoor steps

I have a very old three column 18 section Smith radiator that has to move up 10 steps in order to get it inside the house. It is the the kind that has the fancy cast iron top that covers the section tops, and it must be 400 lbs or so. I do not have the ability to pick it up with a bunch of people because the staircase is only 3.5 feet wide. Does anyone have any tricks for getting the rad up to the top. The steps are stone.
  • Mike Dunn
    Mike Dunn Member Posts: 189
    In the past

I have tried using the "Force", but I usually end up renting a stair climbing appliance dolly.

I say usually because one time....hold on I am sensing something....gotta go(as light saber ignites)
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,284
    We do it all the time.

Go and buy or rent an *appliance hand truck* and the proper straps to secure the radiator to it and tie a rope to a lower part of the hand truck. Sometimes the axle works best.
    One guy up top pulls the rope while a guy at the bottom pushes up, taking some of the weight and guiding it up the steps.
    Another guy holds the hand truck handles and keeps it upright, managing the balance.

This is the last time you and your two friends will be speaking to each other so make sure they do most of the work.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • GREG LAUER
    GREG LAUER Member Posts: 103

find someone who has or will rent a stairclimber it is a hand truck that will walk up the steps.
  • jay in NY

The rad is 55 inches wide and 38 inches tall. In order to put it on the hand truck I would have to stand it on one end. I was worried that doing that could place pressure on the bottom section and could damage one of the columns. The hand truck I have is a stair climber.
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,800
    Lay it sideways on hand truck, 38\" wide then the 5ft length up

the truck. This will work.
  • realolman
    realolman Member Posts: 513
    my wife and I

moved one up to the first floor from the basement last summer.

You're not gonna be outdone by an old man and woman are you? :)

We put it on a piece of 2 X 12 and rolled it on pieces of 3" pvc pipe on the level. We took it around the outside of the house, so that was easier than inside I'm sure. On the steps we lay it down on a long 2 X 12 and hooked a rope to it and dragged it up the steps with a pickup truck.
    It took 3 hours to move it up one floor.

It is now in our living room with a new coat of shiny black paint all over it's fancy curly cues and vines and my wife ,I , and the radiator are all happy.
  • kpc_46
    kpc_46 Member Posts: 4
    go hire a ...

piano moving co. or the like.... your back will thank you. kpc
  • Mark Custis
    Mark Custis Member Posts: 537
    realoman

You two sound like us. We use planks to move equipement out of the pickup, but then gravity is on our side.

Going up: plywood and an old fashion block and tackle, three times the pull for the effort. Two and three inch PVC rollers work well. We have used the pickup trick too.

In my youth we hauled a 5-ton RTU up the side of the building. We used a jeep as the winch wraping the block and tackle rope around a tireless wheel.
  • Norm Harvey
    Norm Harvey Member Posts: 684

If the Egyptians can build pyramids, we can certainly move a radiator up the stairs,...

Slave labor! Make sure to have a whip handy for motivational purposes.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• jay in NY

Thank you all for the advice. I think I have a plan now that will work for me and two unsuspecting friends.
  • Call a moving company

They send out 3 gorillas and its usually not that much
  • I've used the

I've used the 12 volt winch,plank and tow strap to take it atop of stairs. Going down, gravity takes care of that..

• I'd go with the moving company they are insured for this you aren't. You drop that rad you'll have to replace it, repair the wall, and pay for your friends medical bills. The cost is usally not that much.
This discussion has been closed.