Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

what size????????

Options
RICK_64
RICK_64 Member Posts: 20
MY CURRENT MAIN VENT ON THE STEAM HEADER IS A GORTON "D".
IT WAS RECOMMENDED ONCE ON THIS SITE THAT A GORTON #2 WOULD
BE A MORE LOGICAL REPLACEMENT.
MY QUESTION..........WHAT SIZE DRILL BIT AND THREAD TAP WOULD I NEED FOR THE GORTON #2?
THE CURRENT HOLE IS 1/8".

THANKS ONCE AGAIN

Comments

• Brad White_191
    Brad White_191 Member Posts: 252
    Options
    1/8\" on a main??

I agree if you have a 1/8" tapping, a Gorton D is the best way to fill that, with a Heat Timer Vari-Valve probably better still.

A Gorton #2 has a 1/2" MPT stem. A Gorton #1 (about 1/3 the capacity but equal to the D), has a 3/4" MPT and 1/2" FPT internal to that. Quite versatile.

I think that putting that kind of tapping into a pipe really should be a proper fitting, unless you are a skilled welder. If so, (using welded means), a Thread-O-Let would be the way to go.
  • RICK_64
    RICK_64 Member Posts: 20
    Options

thanks for the reply..........still unsure of the proper
    size bit/tap to do the job...........
    please give specifics
    thanks to all!!!!!!!!!
  • I agree with Brad

when talking about larger side of pipe tapping, but if you insist perhaps this will help.

Dave
  • bigger vent....

A quick look at Gerry Gill's and Steve Pajek's flow testing data shows that a 1/8 inch open steel pipe has slightly more venting capacity than the great big Gorton #2. So I would just add a few reducing bushings to go from 1/2 inch on the vent to 1/8 inch and install it on the main. Just try to get it up on a longer 1/2 inch nipple.

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.