Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

DC Controled zone valves

http://www.automagzonevalve.net/technical.php?section=technical Sorry forgot to give you a website

Comments

• Garritt
    Garritt Member Posts: 27
    DC Controled Zone Valves

Has anyone dealt with the Electro zone control with the dc controled zone valves? I ran into this today while installing a new zone valve. The ac relay inside the control is powers the pump when there is a call for heat but the stats and the zone valves are dc driven. Anyone run into this? The system is about 40 years old. Baseboard convectors. Three zones. Cast iron atmospheric boiler. One B&G circ on the return.
  • Electro-plastic

Pexrunner:
    I would speak to Auto mag They still use a DC system and I know they used to make a replacement for the Electro-zone .
  • Hvacman
    Hvacman Member Posts: 159
    Any...

Any DDC vendor should be able to supply you with a valve and actuator to run on this control signal should you need replacements. Typically 0-10 or 2-10 vdc signal with 24vac or vdc to run the actuator... Unusual to see proportional controls in residential and that old...

edit: After looking at the link these aren't actually proportional at all... I'm not sure how expensive the automag parts are but you could run Honeywell or many other vendors valves instead of them with the appropriate actuator and wiring...
  • Garritt
    Garritt Member Posts: 27
    DC controled zone valves

I talked the homeowner into all new honneywell zone valves and a new taco end switch controller.

Right now I have one of the Honneywell zone valves installed but I'm just robbing the 24 vac from the boiler transformer and that particular zone (which they keep cooler anyway) only circulates when another zone is calling for heat.

Anyway, it was something I haven't ran into before.
  • Hvacman
    Hvacman Member Posts: 159

Cool, I like to stick with parts that I can easily get too!
  • Tombig_4
    Tombig_4 Member Posts: 45

I would suspect, but haven't verified that the TACO EBV zone valves will run from DC. I know that many of the low power European zone valves like the Danfoss will run from AC or DC.
This discussion has been closed.