Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Leaky Cast Iron Radiators

kpc_45
kpc_45 Member Posts: 29
used teflon tape AND pipe dope. If he used bushing they have a good chance of leaing because they tighten up quickly. They also are difficult to really grap on to w/ a wrench.....

Comments

• Ed_64
    Ed_64 Member Posts: 4
    Leaky Converted Cast Iron Radiators

Hi,

I just had my steam heating system changed over to hot water. My original cast iron radiators were converted to accept hot water.
    To convert the radiator, my plumber screwed in a fitting into both sides of the radiator - for the new pex supply and return lines.
    About 1/3 of the radiators have developed leaks at the point where the new fitting screws into the radiator.
    The plumber came back...unscrewed the leaky fittings, cleaned the threads, applied new thread sealant... and then pressure tested the system with air.
    It's been three days now, and I still have some leaks ocurring from the same areas.
    My plumber said that there is nothing else he can do... and I will have to buy new radiators.

I knew that there was a chance of my old radiators leaking when I converted from steam to hot water... but I thought that the leak would come from within the radiator itself... not where the point of attachment.

Does anyone have any suggestions on how I can address this issue? I can't really afford to buy new radiators at this time. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks, Ed
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177

USE LAMPWICK WITH PERMATEX. NO MORE LEAKS

• Another thing you can try is RTV silicone sealant, sold in auto supply stores as instant gasket. I have used this on damaged threads and have had excellent results, even on fittings that could only be tightened hand tight.
  • Threaded leaks,

I`m amazed your plumber said "there`s nothing else I can do", not exactly the mark of a good tradesman.
    If I threw in the towel at every leak(given the fittings we have now), I`d be out of biz.
    As others have suggested, refine your sealant methods, and get another plumber/pipefitter.

Dave
  • Ed_64

Thanks for your reply. What is lampwick with permatex? Also... I assume the fitting has to be removed and this product is applied to the threads, before screwing it back in??
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    permie time

lampwick is cotton thread that you wrap clockwise on the pipe thread. permatex is a tried & true pipe joint compound . it is black & looks like tar. this method works after all others have failed. available at plumbing supply houses.
  • Ed_64

Thanks for the help. I will give it a try!

Ed
  • Ed_64

Thanks for the suggestion! Ed
This discussion has been closed.