Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gravity HW?

A pump is a option as we talked about a pump like a 005 TACO .. maybe w/ a strap on Stat that breaks on temp rise,,or just runs when the burner is on... flow seems fine once its hot,and may use as a band aid,,, BUT I really would like to know the WHYs of this,,not always possible :).THANKS for all the in put..

Comments

• Richard D._2
    Richard D._2 Member Posts: 156
    Gravity HW Heating ?

Hello and THANKYOU for your help again :)...I had a job the other day,, 3 rads hardly heating.. GRAVITY HW system,,, New Peerless boiler 14 years ago.. 2 2" risers,,to a large Header, Owner said those rads Never heated much even w/the old system, Rooms were ot use,, now will be,, Rest of the house is fine, Flows well. No air in system.. 1 side seems to het up the return to the Bathrm.. all on 2nd flr.. LONG run,,,Raised pressure to 22lbs..no help.boiler was set at 165,, now 185,,pipe size 1" the run is 1 1/2" 2 rads at 1" piping hooekd up.. could there be balance disks in there??just read about those! THANKYOU
  • Could be,

but if it`s still gravity that shouldn`t be a prob.
    Are you sure the hand valves are operating properly?

Dave
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,932
    Is it still Gravity....

.... Or has a cirulator been added since ?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Richard D._2
    100% Gravity

No circs.. and there is flow through the Rads.. if you use the purge/Drain Ts in the basement the Rad gets Hot and works for awhile,, once cool wont start up... been that way even before the install 14 years ago per the customer,, so its not a new problem as it heasnt worked before, or at least hasnt worked since the homeowner has been ther in the last 25+ years...
  • Richard D.

Can you see where we`re going?
    Gravity was a nice system for the times, but if things have been altered the principal changes!

Dave
  • 100% Gravity

Then it should work, however slowly.
    If your sure the hand valves(usually on the return side), are operating properly, maybe a problem with the piping has been handed down.
    Perhaps try a pro from this site.

Dave
  • Richard D._2
    Ongoing

Per the Home owner these rads were always a problem,,EVEN with the OLD system....I Know that things change alot with new boilers,, Smaller Etc,, In this case I do believe a larger boiler would be better,,, TONs of water in those big pipes :)... I will pull the valve to check to see if they have restrictor plates in them...
  • Richard D.

If the system(as you say), is still gravity, the restrictive plates/orifices(if there) are a good thing.
    I`m sure you will do a disservice by removing them, again be very cautious of those hand valves.

Dave
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,357

Just because the system is old does not mean it was ever put in right to begin with. I would check the layout to proper standards in some of the old manuals out there or even an old Starbucks book to make sure things such as pitch and pipe size are correct. The orfices are not guaranteed to be the right size. Be careful of the valves!!
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • If there`s

flow through the rads,, oh never mind.
    You`re going to rip em apart anyway.

Dave
  • Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040

I pumped a gravity system here and it had 4 rads added by cutting a 'V' in a 1.5" pipe, and welding a 1" pipe over the cut. Very old addition. Do you suppose gravity would allow for flow through this very easily? Pumping it solved this problem. took some looking around to find the problem, same complaint. UPST rads not heating...But had to add a bypass to get the HX up to temp.

Tim
    Just a guy running some pipes.
  • Wow!

that`s very interesting Tim,, in our business anything is possible.

Dave
This discussion has been closed.