Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Recommendation on an automatic feeder

we are honored to have someone of your famous name visit us here!!

i believe that steam heating originated in france. alas they did not persevere as we did here--i wonder why?

are you sure that your system is not "too thirsty"?

as you investigate the auto filler solution,why not also make sure that you are not losing water somewhere?--nbc

Comments

• Robespierre_2
    Robespierre_2 Member Posts: 4
    automatic feeder recommendation

May I ask for the uncommon wisdom of any of you that might recommend an install it and more or less forget it automatic feeder for my steam boiler? The cheapskate owner who rented the house that I bought before me did not put one in and the regular visits to add water are getting a little tiresome. Thanks so much!
  • Robespierre_2

Apologies for not noticing a very similar topic where the Hydrolevel VXT feeder was recommended. Are there any mechanical models that are tried and true or are the new-fangled digital ones really the way to go?
  • oil-2-4-6-gas
    oil-2-4-6-gas Member Posts: 641

if you do put on an automatic feeder --i would add a water meter to monitor your water usage and spot a problem before it becomes a REAL big prob..--there are no feeders for steam boilers that are install and forget --you still need to flush and test periodically --flush and test the mechanicals and clean the probe and test -probe style --
  • Robespierre_2

Is there anyone with "Dead Man" knowledge in the Trenton/Princeton area floating around? I think I would like to combine this installation with an examination of my system in all of its non-glory.
  • Robespierre_2
    hah .... a dubious honor indeed

We are definitely leaking some water through faulty vents so I am going to take care of that first. I can't fit Gorton vents in the tight quarters that are filled by the vertically mounted cylindrical types. Does anyone know if one can use some kind of flexible extender which would allow me to screw the vent in away form the radiator and then move it back to a vertical position?
  • Brad White_203
    Brad White_203 Member Posts: 506
    Nicholas..

don't go losing your head now, over this gentleman.

:) (: :) (: :) (heads "rof...")
  • the chicken or the egg?

which comes first, the vent going bad, or the problem causing it?

i suspect you have either over pressure [above 16 ounces, or a boiler piping problem causing too much water to be drawn up into the pipes, instead of staying in the boiler.

certainly try some new good quality gorton or hoffman vents. then see if the problem has been solved.

if not come back here for more jocular advice!--nbc
This discussion has been closed.