Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

ergomax coil loosing ability to keep up

TimS
TimS Member Posts: 82
I assume your using the dhw sensor that comes with vision 1 so you can view what the water temperature is in the Ergo(I don't know how low the sensor is located on the Ergo). What is the temp in the ergo view this in d3 ___ . what is the set point on dhw? view and adjust this in user program mode de ___ this has default of 119* set it up to at least 160* I know you said it has 190* supply from boiler that is normal but it makes sense when you draw hot water you get 110* if your set point is low @ 119* default. If this was not programmed for this specific application I ask was the outdoor reset programmed for your application? I am hoping the DHW coil in the Ergo is not scaled & I'm not convinced it has scaled!

Comments

• chris_93
    chris_93 Member Posts: 84
    ergomax coil can't keep up anymore

I have a customer with a ergoamx reverse indirect. Its been in three years w/ no problems ( on city water). Low flow its fine ie; kitchen sink. But shower, or tub it can't keep up. Boiler side is fine. connected to a 199k mod con keeping the water at 180-190f.
    Anyone have any luck cleaning the coils or how had it is to change the coil,if possible?
  • jim_172
    jim_172 Member Posts: 1

I would call Adam, there tech support guy, he is excellent. At 199 k btu is it connected to a Ray?
  • chris_93
    ergomax

The tank is connected to a Munchkin 199k. It has been working fine for over three years. The tank started to crap out about two weeks ago. I'll call him today.
    Thanks,
    Mike
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    Is it in hard water?

If so, look in to magnetic water conditioners.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• TimS
    Is there a mixing valve ?

there should be a mixing valve what is the temperature hot water before mix valve?
  • chris_93
    yes there is an esbe valve

It starts out hot 160-170 on the hot inlet side of the mixing valve and drops to 110 when there is a big draw ie: filling the whirlpool.
  • TimS
    I like the Ergomax

I dont have a local dealer so have not installed or serviced any but I would like to buy two for my house , and start selling them every chance I get once I get a local dealer.
    I really hope yours has not scaled and plugged up losing efficiency (cause I have HARD water). I am curious what you find is wrong.
    How is it piped ?
    HOw is it controlled?
    Is the ESBE mix valve a thermostatic pressure balancing mix valve ?
    What model Ergomax do you have?
    Has any thing changed since it used to work OK?
  • tim smith
    tim smith Member Posts: 2,800
    See if it runs properly at a lower flow rate out of tub fill. If

so maybe the hot inlet is partly blocked on mix valve causing too much cold water to fill even though looking for more hot. Just a thought, Tim
  • I have an E44 and

a Watts mixing valve. My Ergo is in series with the primary loop to add boiler content. It generates a lot of hot water. I am not impressed with the factory QC but that is another story.

I have found that the high temp output of the Ergo with the high flow rates cause the rubber check valve in the Watts to fold into the water passage which cuts flow rate significantly. I have to take it apart and reseat the rubber piece. I need to replace the Watts with something more robust or of a different design.

Might want to test flow without the regulator.
  • chris_93
    i'm going there friday

It is an E23, connected to the Munchkin as a part of the Vision wiring. Boiler ramps up to 190 w/ no outdoor reset for DHW production.
    Being that it has worked fine for the past few years leads me to believe it is the mixing valve or coil.

We are going back friday. I'm bringing a new mixing valve and some flow aid coil cleaner. Hopefully that will take care of the issue.
    I will let you know.
    Thanks for the help.
  • Mark

Do you believe that magnetic water conditioning works? If you do what kind do you use? This is an old debate, you have guys that swear by them and others who dont. The thing that scares me is they always have a reason for not getting 3rd party approval.
    I recently installed one in my home as a test and I put my softner in bypass but it is hard to really tell. Anyway even more recently I installed a Navien 98% tankless water heater and put the softner back on line I just didnt want to test it on my new heater.
    Just would like to hear your experience and opinion.
    TONY
  • chris_93
    dhw sensor

Hi, We are not using the vision one sensor because as far as I know they don't adapt to each other. It is connected to the vision one as a priority and the standard ergo aquastat turns it on and off. Outdoor reset is on the central heat side. I have thermometers on outlet of tank and outlet of mix valve. going there tommorrow and will update everyone.
    Thanks
  • TimS
    mike

I,m interested to hear of any progress .
  • chris_93
    Ergomax

Gerry,
    We were there 12/26 and changed out the mixing valve. I also installed ball valves and drains at either end of the coil to flush it out. We did get several 5 gallon pails of green "tinted water".

I didn't have time to change the valve and see if it worked. We decided to flush the coil at the same time while the new mix valve was installed.

We filled the whirlpool a few times and all seemed ok. I also noticed on the Honeywell mixing valve it says max temp was 180 deg. This tank was set at 185 and the boiler side aquastat was 195 deg. Not sure if the valve was failing due to the high temp water.

The customer went on vacation last night. I didn't have any calls yet. hopefully no news is good news here. I'll keep you posted.
  • Do you want to

come up to Maine and fix mine? I will trade use of my home in the bank if you want to vacation here for work done to improve my system.

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    TONY

It has been my experience that they will work on lime scale, but not in silica based calcification.

I've used Bon Aqua, Superior and another one that I can no longer find in the US called Lime Fighter. All of them successfully.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

This discussion has been closed.