Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Oil flame cutting out intermittently. . .

Keith_46
Keith_46 Member Posts: 1
Yeah it's got an updated honeywell 8184 primary. Real sloppy stuff, first time I'm looking at it. Filter is a check, I'm probably going to add a detergent to their tank to break up any sludge. Probably going to nurse this burner through the season and then replace it. Thanks.

Comments

• Keith_45
    Keith_45 Member Posts: 1

Got a call from the church this morning and swung by to find the primary off on lockout. Everything was calling, hit the reset and immediately got a flame. Figured I'd observe a full pressure cycle, was sitting on a pail and watching the flame when it went out after about 90 seconds, stayed off for 5 seconds, re-ignited, on for 90, off for 5, did this about 10 times before stabilizing. I can't help but think that this is what shut us down on safety in the first place. Was wondering what your impressions were.[/p] Also I noticed that the burner was making a clicking sound when the flame cut out, almost as if the solenoid was shutting and then opening every time the oil cut out. This was an 18 year old Carlin 701CRD with two nozzles, 1-2 stage fire. It's a piece of junk, I'm probably going to replace it with a Beckett CF5/800. Thoughts?
  • May be an oil feed problem

or a bad solenoid, bad electrical connection or something similar. I think that burner uses a standard Carlin or Honeywell primary, check that too. Is there an oil filter in the line?

"Steamhead"

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Once the Carlin is fixed

I doubt the Beckett would outperform it. There shouldn't be a need to replace it, but I would upgrade to an electronic primary. Also, is this a steam or hot-water system?

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
  • Al Gregory_3
    Al Gregory_3 Member Posts: 20

Sounds like a clogged filter line or strainer Keep the Carlin
  • oil-2-4-6-gas
    oil-2-4-6-gas Member Posts: 641

KEEP the Carlin --i've put in and serviced a lot of them very easy to set-up and maintain --A LOt easier and more reliable than the Beckett ---put a vacuum gauge in line check the oil line --from the sounds of it your losing the oil or have some air in the oil line plugged or pinhole in the suction line --get a Carlin book set-up the burner --check pump pressure -calculate the nozzles gph adjust the drawer assy /electrodes ----That Carlin is far from junk -----sounds like the on of the oil valves may be going --take out a voltage meter and test them --low fire valve is controlled by the timer (black square box-usually mounted on the 1900 box) which is powered by the relays orange wire --the high fire solenoid is powered by the switch in the mod-motor -M36---do a dynamic voltage test on the oil valves,mod motor switch,and timer --
  • oil-2-4-6-gas
    oil-2-4-6-gas Member Posts: 641

do you normally go to service calls reset the burner and watch it --or do you change filters,strainer,nozzle --adjust electrodes,and clean the diffuser --so you KNOW you have a decent base to start from ??
This discussion has been closed.