Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Fuel Savings Updates (Gordo & Steamhead)

I have enough oil consumption to see the savings on the boiler at the Windsor Club in Newton, MA. This is a Smith Model 19 Series 6 that was fired with a 2.5 GPH nozzle, which matched the load. My feeling was that such a big boiler needed more firepower, so I installed a 3.5 GPH nozzle. Also, added a fan-in-can, since last year we had sooting from inadequate fresh air.

Last year, the system has absolutely NO main vents. I installed Gorton's on the mains. The steam pipes in the boiler room and some parts of the basement were uninsulated, so I insulated them.

Finally, and this is what makes the savings numbers hard to analyze: instead of heating the building to 70* from 8AM to 11PM daily , we keep it at 55* and only heat it on the three days a week that it is used. The place heats up remarkably well, without the expected cold feeling of the wall mass.

Oil savings on a degree day basis: 30%. Last year we used 5500 gallons.

My next project is to reinstall the LWCO/boiler feeder, since it is installed two inches too high, so the water level is always two inches above the normal line. Also, the boiler has a bullnose feeding the mains, so I want to re-pipe that in the off season. We're getting there. I'm finding it hard to find people who work with 3-inch and 4-inch pipe.
Steve from Denver, CO

Comments

This discussion has been closed.