Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Normal

Edith, I assume you are talking about radiator vents, not the mains (which you mention specifically as being OK). Is this the case?

On radiators, the vents can indeed open even under steam if the condensing rate in that particular radiator exceeds the steaming rate at that moment. Imagine a cubic foot of steam collapsing to a cubic inch of water. That amount of vacuum will induce a vent to open (assuming it is cool enough).

Now, if the vent is releasing steam, fix or replace it. (I recommend at least a few spare vents in a safe place, besides I hoard stuff too :)

Removing a vent will get you a face full of air and steam, yes. But if a sudden release, might your vent be too small? How well to the radiators in general come to temperature at the same time? Or do they march one by one until all are warm?

Comments

• edith
    edith Member Posts: 1
    Normal??

Guys,
    I am pretty handy, and was wondering if the following was normal. I have a one pipe steam system. As the system is running the vents (gorton's) close, but then as the boiler continues to run, the vents open AGAIN and stay open.
    I took one off, and a huge pressure of air/steam was released.
    The mains are properly vented.
    Thank you.
  • edith_2
    edith_2 Member Posts: 1

Brad,
    They all come up very close to steam. The upstair rads have gorton #6 and the biggest one at the end has a gorton C. 15 fins.
    Mains are 49 feet with 3 gorton number1, and the other side is 33 feet in length with 2 gorton 1's.
    I thought the pressure might have been too high, but if it was too high then the vents would not open at all?
  • xx_3
    xx_3 Member Posts: 1
    xxx

• vents

do you know what your pressure is?
    under 16 ounces is best, and will vent air more quickly than too high a pressure.
    on my 54 radiator, 1-pipe system, the air is out by 3 oz. pressure.--nbc
  • edith_3
    edith_3 Member Posts: 1
    ssss

I have a pa404a pressuretrol set at .5/1.5
    Not sure of the accuracy of it though.
    54 radiators! wow!
This discussion has been closed.