Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Using oxygen barrier pex for heating mains

I am replacing an electric heat system with hot water baseboards . I am considering using barrier pex to pipe the 1 heating mains.The heat loss estimate is 60000 Btus so the 1 will have adequate capacity. My question to the board will the barrier hold up to the operating temperatures at design?.I prefer to use threaded pipe but it can be messy and the basement has finished floors.Copper is great but it can be messy too not to mention the fire hazard.Just throwing out some ideas looking for some input.The near boiler piping will be all threaded and transition to pex.Thanks one and all for taking the time to read my request.
Regards,
Adam Grant

Comments

• Timco
    Timco Member Posts: 3,040

I believe it is tested to 200*, but it is stamped right on the pipe. 180* would be fine in it...

Tim
    Just a guy running some pipes.
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,852
    Beware...

PEX has a high coefficient of expansion. For example, a run 50' long will grow about 6" when going from 70 to 180 degrees F.

If you don't allow for it, it will be noisy on cycles (TICK TICK tick tick tick tick tick...)

Consider copper with ProPress fittings.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Bob Bona_4
    Bob Bona_4 Member Posts: 2,083
    or

use PAP.

Ixnay on the regular PEX-ay for high temp.
  • Harvey_2
    Harvey_2 Member Posts: 27
    Siggy's article

Check out John's article in this months Plumbing&Mechanical Home run piping with1/2" or 3/8"
  • hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,834
    design the system

around the lowest possible operating temperatures.

Go with PAP or Viega FostaPex product to help with expansion movement and noise.

barrier pex does allow O2 through the wall. more so at elevated temperatures. i prefer the pexs that use aluminum as the barrier layer for best O2 ingress protection.

hr
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • JohnNY
    JohnNY Member Posts: 3,284

It seems oxygen infusion should be less of an issue if using a good hydraulic separator, no?

To Learn More About This Professional, Click Here to Visit Their Ad in "Find A Professional"
    Contact John "JohnNY" Cataneo, NYC Master Plumber, Lic 1784
    Consulting & Troubleshooting
    Heating in NYC or NJ.
    Classes
  • Mark Custis
    Mark Custis Member Posts: 537
    O2

I am still working on wrapping my brain around hydronic sepperators. They seem magical.
  • TimS
    TimS Member Posts: 82
    hydraulic seperator love 'em

Go all out use a buffer tank piped as a hydraulic seperator put air vent on top also dirt settles to bottom call it something like a dirt/air/hydraulic seperator bufferin' tank.
  • k
    k Member Posts: 38
    ONIX

Onix is rated for 180 degree water at 100 psi-I have seen alot of jobs using onix as supply to baseboard. Onix does not expand in lenghth like pex-pex aluminum pex (pap) is also a good alternative to running copper. Merry Christmas
  • Bob Burnham
    Bob Burnham Member Posts: 18
    Creak, Creak, Creak

I can almost hear it from my house. Creak, Creak, Creak, Creak, Creak, Creak...
  • Leo G_102
    Leo G_102 Member Posts: 11
    do it on all my systems

just regular O2 pex. works fine, just make sure that you clip and isolate well. also, if using a regular boiler, add a tekmar control, and the ticking is kept to a minimum.

Leo G
  • Jed_2
    Jed_2 Member Posts: 781
    Absolutely, IF

some clown is installing without due dilligence to correct pex piping practices. Never the less; PAP works best!

Jed
This discussion has been closed.